ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out for a couple hours while the kids were at school. Fished 9-11 AM in the Wilmington area.

Mixed bag of SM, LM and rock bass. Both the SM and LM were chunky little 14", had about half dozen rock bass ranging from 6" to 11". Hooked into something real big, but it actually snapped my keeper hook in half. Only had it on for about 2 seconds but it was big. Probably a big channel cat. I'm also questioning the integrity of the hook because it has been sitting out in my garage all year. This was my first time out. Lots of hits, but many were dink rock bass.

Used weighted keeper hooks and YUM wooly hawg craws in the watermelon color. Tried some crank baits but no luck. All fish were caught within 8 ft of shore, the SM was literally within 6 ft of where i was standing when I hooked him.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey Doctor D, I wouldnt be surprised if it was a gar that broke your hook. I was out on saturday and saw them making all kinds of commotion out in the middle of the river chasing baitfish. There were a couple that were HUGE. I could see them surface and then I'd see its tail out of the water like a shark chasing the fish. It was actually a really cool sight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like the water level is coming down and I could see down about a foot or foot and a half in the slack water.

Definitely was not a gar that broke me off. I didn't see any gar in the area. I would bet money that it was a catfish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts