ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a place on a river that I'll be going to in May. It connects to lake MI near Green Bay. I was told to give Gulp goby's a try since it's a favorite forage of Lake Michigan smallies. Anybody try these? How well do they work & how do you rig them- on a round 1/4 oz jig head or a worm hook? Many thanks, billyk

·
Registered
531 Posts
Either way works but it depends on current or wind. If there is a current, you need to rig with weight. A modified Carolina rig is great too. Place the Goby on a worm hook and place a split shot 12-18 inches up the line. You will need to adjust the weight for conditions. I like 1/4 oz. but if current is strong or waves rough, larger might be needed. I like Flourocarbon line for fishing these baits.

Another very good Goby plastic is Poor Boy's Goby's. They are now available at Cabelas and Bass pro's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The best way to rig and fish any style of gobies is with a drop shot. Depends on depth and wind speed. In shallower water with/or little to no wind, i'd throw a 1/4oz and cast more than vertical jig. In deeper water with/or more wind i'd go to a 3/8oz-1/2oz weight and vertical jig. Find good rock structure and you should find fish. The nice thing about drop shots is you can put it at any depth you want and keep it there. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.