ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking for coming down from Chicago this weekend and fishing for Sauger in Utica. Will the river be too high? I don't want to drive 2 hours for nothing. Any info would be great! The river forcast is about 452 feet for Sunday & flood stage is 450, but not knowing the river this means nothing to me.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It will be pretty high, and I am sure muddy. Rising water is usually the muddiest and toughest to fish once it turns chocolate milk.

·
Registered
294 Posts
river should be high muddy and full of debri. you will be better of going to a bar and getting hammered! 8:) heheheh snow flurries today? yep! beer drinking weather!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You can have good days fishing the river when it is rising - but the river can turn ons and shut off very quickly. If you haven't fished the river much right now is not a good time to learn, probably lots of drum, whites, and cats active.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I just took my boat to the marina this am.
Water is up about 2ft. in Seneca, but I got to my slip
ok. Tied up & pluged in. It's boating season!
Now if the weather would cooperate!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The river is pretty high near Ottawa right now. Not sure where you will launch. I fished out of Morris on Wed. it was fine.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Oh, its evil, very, very evil.... Cleotus is right. Belly up (or belly down as the saugers do) in this high water.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Why is handlining effective (productive) in these kind of conditions?
Is it that you can feel everything better?
What kind of presentation do you use when handlining?
Jigging? Live bait best?

...really intrigued by this handling stuff...
...don't know sheeite about it...

Thanks for any info here.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
hutchies site has some handlining info riverwalleyesdotcom. And search the flwoutdoors site. Rick lacourse has a great article on handlining.

I thought jeem meant heidecke lake.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If I know Jim I would say HL is Hiedcke Lake :)2 .I will be there during the week should start with the warmer weather..Good Fishin :p

G

·
With all the river fishing going on the past couple of weeks, I totally forgot about Heidecke. I'm looking forward to hitting that lake again.

Mike

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Mark Komo said:
hutchies site has some handlining info riverwalleyesdotcom. And search the flwoutdoors site. Rick lacourse has a great article on handlining.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
You got bit now. The nitro should handle handlining just fine, no?

·
Registered
294 Posts
handlining works great in high fast water. you can get your cranks down in the fish zone and keep them there. its also easier to handline through a bunch of boats then it is to pull 3 ways. you can really cut angles without worried about getting getting snagged up in the back. you can use 5-10-15-25-and 30 foot leads as well. experiment with different lead lenghts if you have 2 guys in the boat. i rigged my handlines on a few ram rodholders with the holder and twist knob taken off on the side and replaced the holder with a few L brackets. i screwed the L bracked in the side and screwed the handline on the top of the L bracket. sort of like and upsside down L. THEN I UESED tape to keep the L bracket from swinging down. it works great. i just use the rod holes that are up front from where i am sitting in the back of the boat. hand on the kicker motor for quick bursts of speed when i need it. i usually go between .6 and .8 mph. you can mount them whichever way works for your boat. if you see guys handlining i bet you will see 50 different mounting methods! hahaahah hope this helps. you can usually get a new set of handlines for 225 bucks plus the money for different size weights and nylon leaders with clevises on them. to attach you leaders to. i started handlining last year and found it was an effective way to fish in faster higher water. just another tool to have in your arsenal. been seeing more and more guys using it in the last IWT tourney. the mississippi mystic can probably answer some of your questions.[ mannerino]. :-D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts