ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My work brought me down to Burbonnais on Friday. After my last apt. I waded Rock Creek with fishing pole and digital camera in hand. The creek is wadeable and somewhat murkey. I waded from the foot bridge to about 1/4 mile upriver of the 102 bridge (will go much further next time). If the smallies are in there they didn't hit for me. I worked various jig/twister combos in and around any fishy looking cover [eddies, current breaks & bolders (the up and downstream sides)]. I even worked tight to the bridge supports thinking something might be holding tight with the water a little on the high side. I did not even get one hit (which was suprising with all that great smallie cover everywhere). My suspicion is that they are in there but won't turn on for a couple weeks (provided the nice weather continues). When the lilacs bloom the smallies will be on.

I spent equal time fishing and taking pictures. I really enjoyed taking pictures. That little creek helped remove all the stress from the work week. I felt very relaxed. You K3 Rats have a treasure down there. PROTECT IT!

Take Care,
Razzo (Fox Board)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great photo Razzo!! Your right, the kank and creek are treasures. I'll hit them both pretty hard Sunday and Monday. I'll let you know. Anybody know the water temp? What were you using? Maybe they were by the mouth. . I'll try and figure it all out tomorrow.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bossross,

I'd guess between 46 & 50 degrees. I was using 1/16oz jig (various colors) and a 3" twister tail (various colors). Sunday: I'd start with the twister tails for any active fish. If that didn't work I switch real quick to live bait and work it very slow in slack water areas. There are a couple big lazy eddies that would be worth working a minnow very slowly.

I don't think the smallies are gonna "turn on" for a couple weeks yet.

Razzo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Razzo on 2002-04-13 21:15 ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts