ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
New to the site and hopelessly addicted to fishing. I just moved to the Illinois Wisconsin boder and was wondering if anybody has fished Olson Lake at Rock Cut State Park. I live about 5min away from there ans was wondering if any you have info about it that you wouldn't mind sharing.
Thanks All!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Labcat, I live in Rockton (about 10-15 minutes from Rock Cut) and I have fished Pierce Lake (the bigger lake) but I have not fished Olson. I have heard that some guys do quite well at times for Largemouth Bass on Olson. I think there are Northern in there too. I may try it this year. As far as Pierce goes, there are Bluegill, Perch, Crappie, LM Bass, Catfish, Walleye, and Musky to name a few. Usually the first 2 weeks of May are pretty good Crappie fishing. Might be a little later this year though with the cold March we are having. Small white jig w/crappie minnow under a "pencil" thin slip bobber works for me. Welcome to the area and welcome to CLF. 8:)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've fished Pierce Lake a few times when camping at Rock Cut. Caught some really nice pan fish and healthy Walleyes. Not a lot of fishing pressure from my experiences and overall a nice state park.

Don't forget to try the Rock River. Lots of great fishing there too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I live in Rockford but just bought a house in Poplar Grove... I haven't fished anywhere here yet though (just moved to the area in december)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't fished there in about 8 years,however there are some nice walleye in Peirce Lake. The 1 fish I ever had mounted came from there.It is a 27" Walleye. Lots of catfish too. A friend of mine lived in Harvard at one time so it was our " getaway place". When fishing there we had quite a bit of luck dragging night crawlers on the bottom.If the wind is just right it's a nice drift from the feeder creek to the campground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts