ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has heard anything on the fishing at rt 12 bridge or nippersink creek, particully on the walleye or crappie :)5

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Get out there and give us a report.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Was out Saturday and Monday. Launched at Bauske's both days. Saturday i fished the 12 bridge then went south into the river, then went back north to the grass lake bridge, then up into the northern river. Marked alot of fish around the 12 bridge pilings and by grass lake bridge and the mouth of the north river. Caught nothin though. Water temps are around 40-42', although i did find 48' beleive it or not in a creek backwater. The walleye are all farther north on the river or south below the dam. I'm sure with this beautiful weather this weekend, it will be crowded by the mchenry dam. Let's just hope they don't close due to high water. It's already slow no wake everywhere. If you want a cheap boat launch, i launched at oak park today for a fee of $5, which she said they will change when the weather warms up and more people start going there. I should be out in to p.m. at the dam tomorrow. Then i'm thinkin it's off to the Rock for some REAL walleye. Good luck if you get out! Lets get some reports!

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you're coming from gurnee, i'd take 132 to 59 and go south. Then merge onto 12 and turn right at 134 aka big hollow rd. Take that down a ways and pass over the bridge with pistakee on your right and it's the second street on your right after the bridge called weingart rd. You can't miss it, theres a sign for bald knob marine. You take that down to your 5th street on your right again called rolling lane. Take that down to oak grove rd. it's just passed the curve on the road. Make a right and take down the BIG hill to the water. If you get off the water before 12 you don't have to pay cuz their not open yet! Just fyi, not that i'd do that or anything. Sorry for the long complex directions!

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
winnebasschamp said:
If you get off the water before 12 you don't have to pay cuz their not open yet! Just fyi, not that i'd do that or anything.
Lots of people do winne. I know you post this as a tip but let me add my thoughts. 30 years ago, the chain had close to 75 resorts which many of them had ample parking and launch facilities. Today there are about 15 resorts left, with some having no launches at all. Access to the chain keeps getting tougher every year. Some of the resorts that are left have voiced their disappointment about summer and winter fisherman that are willing to use their property for parking/launching while they leave trash laying around, or fill up their outside garbage cans, then hop in their vehicles and take off without even looking for a drop box, or simply stopping in for a cold one next time they are there to show appreciation. The resort your speaking of is the last operating resort that gives us access to Pistakee bay for ice fishing. If they ever choose to hang it up or get disgusted with fisherman, that's it, unless of course you wait for solid ice over the entire lake, then invest in a snowmobile or 4 wheeler to drive to the location. Which is cheaper, buying several thousands in extra equipment?? .... or making sure you pay the $3.00 they ask for. ;)

People may question the fee's that a resort charges for parking but if you could see their property tax bills alone, you would then question how they have kept their doors open for business at all. That 3-5 or even $15.00 that they attempt to collect from launchers and ice fisherman help cover the incredibly high expenses for lakefront property and it's maintenance. It's pretty simple math to figure out that its more profitable to sell off the land for condo's or homes then it is to continue operating as a resort. I believe it's just a matter of time before the state taxes whats left of these small business owners out of existence. Then no one will have to pay because there will be no place to launch or park at all. If I launch at a resort and return before they open, then I will pay them the next time I am there. You would be surprised at the looks on their faces when I offer to pay for two launches or just parking in the winter for ice fishing which tells me that it's a very rare occurrence. Most just leave and consider themselves ahead of the game. Maybe it's just me but I don't want to owe anybody anything and take no pleasure in screwing the resort owner out of $3.00. As a matter of fact, It bugs me when I leave without paying to the point I've went back a few days later for no other reason than to pay so I don't forget.

No one will be ahead if next season their launch or parking lot is gated or the old place is gone completely with crews their building the next condo complex. The few dollars they collect on a weekly basis, or should I say don't collect for their taxes, insurances and other expenses will someday be enough to convince yet another resort owner to shut the place down. :-?

.... Besides, now that you've posted this little suggestion, you'll have every mooch on the internet Googling this resorts address to beat them out of the launch fee. You may find no parking left the next time you attempt to launch there. Then at 11am, this little place will look like the state park launch on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with people trying to get out of there before the bar opens. :roll:

Be honest !! Pay the Fee !!!

Don't mean to come off harsh here..... Then again, why should I care, I'll always have access. 8:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I completely understand what you mean jd. My bad for posting that, i just got carried away i guess. You're completely right, access is getting harder and harder to come by. I definantly appreciated the fact that they only charged me $5 to park there for launching. I didn't mean in anyway to "screw them", just more along the lines i guess that if you were planning on getting there early, there's really no drop box for cash or an envelope or anything, which i may suggest for their sake! Let's hope it doesn't come to it where oak park closes, cuz that would be very,very,very bad as i spent most of my winter there! Touche jd and thanks for making some very valid points! :oops:

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
winnebasschamp said:
Touche jd and thanks for making some very valid points! :oops:
No, Thank You Winne for understanding. Many times we've read posts about supporting our local bait stores because they offer services and information in a way the big retailers cannot. I think of the resort owner in the same way. We need to support them the best we can. :)2

So thank you for not taking my comments the wrong way as I wasn't attempting to direct any discontent directly at you, just thought your post opened a door to explain the repercussions we all could face in the future if we don't support these folks.

See ya on the water. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I received a very sincere Thank You from a place up in the northern area when I gave him my $5. It made me feel good. We now launch there often and eat beakfast before we hit the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts