ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to Salt Creek on Saturday afternoon with a buddy - my first trip out there. The water out there is beautifully clear and the weather was really nice. I feel that the clear water works out against the fishermen because, just as you can see the fish swimming by, they can see you just as well. Used large golden roaches first under a bobber with a small weight and then without the bobber. I felt like the current was moving the bait too quickly with the bobber.

We got skunked, but it was a nice afternoon to wet a line. We stopped at Lee's prior to get some bait - really nice place. My buddy and I were asking the lady behind the counter how Salt Creek was doing and she said not so well but that the Des Plaines was really heating up. She then told us that someone caught a 57" pike on the DPR the morning prior. I proceeded to tell her that a fish like that would have been a state record but she said that is what the gentleman told her. I love fish stories.

All in all a nice day to fish. There were about 10 other anglers out there when I was there but no crossed lines. Only fish I saw taken was a sucker by the sandy bottom drop off by the grate.

Tight Lines,
NOD

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Ahh, so you were by the WWD? I have heard that place cools off in March when the weather starts to turn. There also was a big fish kill reported a month or so ago when they had high water and a bunch of crap was released. Hey though, 57'' pike will keep ya coming back ;) Thanks for the report Neil.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt,

The WWD is exactly where we were at - sorry I failed to mention that. Saw some bass swim by but that's it.

N

1 - 4 of 4 Posts