ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw blufloyds post on the evergreen post. Some kind of experiment on the saugeye/muskie? Live up here in the burbs but went to school at ISU. Still frequent Evergreen as much as possible, but haven't heard of any experiments yet, maybee I'm out of touch, any information greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think what Floyd is refering to is several years back they started stocking Sauger/Walleye hybrids and also Muskie into Evergreen. Both of which in my opinion have done quite well. There are some real big muskie swimming around in Evergreen now. The Sugeye have done execptionally well with the State record getting broken twice last year out of Evergreen! Not sure if the added predator species have affected the crappie population in the lake or if it has been on a bit of a down cycle for crappie the last couple years but it doesn't seem to be producing the sizes of crappie it was for a while there, although the numbers still seem to be ok. (lots of 7-9 inch fish) On a side note, I recently recieved an email from Mike Steffa who works at the park saying the park staff and DNR put out some hoop nets recently to sample fish. I guess the first day they got around 30 Saugeye with a couple around the 8 pound mark. Then the second day they had similar numbers but one monster reportedly tipping the 10 pound mark!! Sounds like another state record swimming around if somebody lucky enough to catch it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts