ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Sea sickness

4K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  brian1785 
#1 ·
:)27

Anyone have a magic cure for sea sickness? I love fishing our Great Lakes but really have to work for it. Dramamine brings me down and doesn't work in the heavy weather. Anyone tried the Relief Band? Any suggestions would be helpful.

#2 ·
Do you eat something before going out? But not something greasy.

Last trip out my wife got sick, but she had not eaten before we went out. She never got sick before.

I'm not saying eating is the answer, but in one case it may have been. Also, talk to some of the charter captains, they may have an answer, but you have to find what works for you, which is probably a painful process.

#3 ·
The eating thing is true from my experience on the lake. Normaly I'll eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or something before I go out. The more bread the better I found. If I eat McDonalds before I go out I'll be hangen over the side forsure.

G
#9 ·
Ther are "patches" like the smoking kind, and I have seen "pills" that work "on the spot". I don't know where to get the pills, but my wife started getting ill in a helicoptewr, and some guy gave her the sickness pills, and she was fine , in minutes. Ask a doctor ???

G
#11 ·
The wrist bands work for some people and not for others, I think it's one of those "you gotta believe it will work" things! After working on a charter boat it's my experience that if you are prone to seasickness there is little that will prevent it completely, Dramamine only works for a short time and only if taken properly. Don't eat a heavy meal, don't drink orange juice, don't lose sight of the shoreline (stay above deck) and if your feeling like your gonna call O'Rourke do it on the downwind side of the boat, if you are unsure as to where that is...spit first, if it hits you in the face turnaround before blasting your ballast, and when you get hair coming up you can stop puking...that's your butthole. If your one of those Machoman types who are predisposed to projectile vomiting on the water then eat a big mess of cold greasy salami & slam a 12 pack of warm Coors Light, you'll still hurl yor guts out but you can then blame the bad lunchmeat & lousy beer for you illness rather than your inner-ear inadequacy

#16 ·
I know thaat you werent crazy about the Dramamine.Take it the night before,then again in the morning.........Ive done enough deep sea fishing to know that being sick is absolutly horrible.Try this...If someone on the boat is really sick...I mean really sick,toss them a wet suit and have them get in the water...No joke,this really works.It takes the sick feeling away almost instantly,have them stay in for about 5 to 10 mins next to the boat but not holding on.

#18 ·
True it is.Was down in Mexico Marlin fishing kast year.Stopped about 75 miles out to catch some bait and had her get in the water and drift for a while...Pretty bad sight...Landed a 12 pound Mullet while she was in and she said..."Great you caught a fish,can we go back in yet?'...Captain replied....."Nope..thats just the bait!'She asked...."well how big are the fish we are going for?"....Captain replied...Ohhh bought 500 to 800 pounds....She asked...When are we going to start fishing?'....Captain says....judging by the fish finder,right now!.........................Priceless...

#20 ·
Try ginger capsules. Take one mg with meals starting the day before and right before you get on the boat. A study at John Hopkins in the mid-eightes showed it has the same effectivness as Dramamine without the side effects. Both ginger and Dramamine work for about 72% of the people who take it.

G
#21 ·
Try to stay on your feet as much as possible, and keep your knees bent, as if the boat floor is a surf board and you're riding it. This will help you keep reference with the horizon. This technique is something tha becomes natural, and unconscious - it refererred to as "boat knees" by us sailors. It's all psychological - just focus on a stationary object - the horizon.

G
#22 ·
it refererred to as "boat knees" by us sailors
I always thought it was "Sea Legs"

It's all psychological

Seasickness is NOT just "all in your head", The truth is it's ALL in your ears! There are a couple (3) fluid filled canals in your ears that communicate with your brain and eyes to help you keep your balance. When your on a boat that's rocking back and forth and up and down...these canals send more balance related info than some brains are used to receiving, there is so much movement that the brain gets an "information overload" and you get sick. after a while the brain will get used to the multiple messages it's receiving and the seasickness goes away. The time varies from person to person and can take from just a few minutes back on shore to over a week to feel better, I'm not prone to this ailment but have had a few days where after working a charter I have felt the boat rocking when I've climbed into bed that night and still felt it the next morning but I kind of enjoy it...cheap buzzz!

#23 ·
:)2 Thanks for all the helpfull responses to my fear of chumming our Great Lake. I actually ended up getting a prescription from my doc, in pill form, and used the ginger tablets and drank Ginger ale and wore a Sea Band wristband. All was well. At the most the waves got 2 feet so I didn't need all that, but I could tell that I would have been ok in 5 footers. No side effects at all. I was able to look down and re-tie my line, which is usually the part that makes me sick. We caught some fish also.

Instead of Dave cleaning up my insides, he just had to clean the blood from my Brown....

Can't wait to get out again.

#24 ·
Right before you get sick, drink a whole bottle of pepto-bismo and start spinning around as fast as possible.Warn your buddies and then LET GO <~..^..~>.Its just like Spin art on the Captains white interior.More often than not the captain will take you back to shore.Just make sure you don't slip and fall.Gatorade makes some good colors too.If 2 or more people are sick, its makes for some good pictures. Roy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.