ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on using my hunting bow to bow fish. I have a stabilizer screw in reel mount. that i will be using. I set it up the other day. But, my whisker biscuit's whiskers aren't strong enough to support the weight of the bowfishing arrow. It ends up sitting on the rim of the whisker biscuit, is this going to be a major problem, what can i do about it for a cheap quick fix.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
If your a serious bowhunter, I wouldn't risk screwing up your hunting bow. It will get wet, bloody, muddy, ...

Pretty much any bow will work. I used to use an old 35 lb pull bow. I had to keep the points very sharp or I would have a lot of pull offs.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Are_We_Havin_Fun_Yet said:
I was planning on using my hunting bow to bow fish. I have a stabilizer screw in reel mount. that i will be using. I set it up the other day. But, my whisker biscuit's whiskers aren't strong enough to support the weight of the bowfishing arrow. It ends up sitting on the rim of the whisker biscuit, is this going to be a major problem, what can i do about it for a cheap quick fix.
You need to get the bowfishing biscuit. Not the whole rest, just the biscuit.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I agree with spinnerman. Don't use your hunting bow for this sport. If you are like me you don't drop your hunting bow on the ground or into the mud. Bowfishing bows do get set down in various enviroments which could hurt your shooting. I use an old 50 lb compound that a buddy of mine was throwing away. I have shot numerous fish with that bow and have set it in the water i wading trying to get fish off the arrow. I try not to but it does happen. A good hunting bow is expensive and needs care not to damage it.

The problem you are having with the whisker biscuit is that it is probaly made for aluminum or carbon arrows that weigh next to nothing. They sell a different biscuit that you can put on that will solve your problem. All the bristles are black and it has to be front loaded. The one you are using probaly has the brown and black bristles?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, yeah i have the Biscuit for carbon arrows. i do think i'm going to look for a lighter pull, used compound to turn into a Fishing bow. After your shared thoughts i think it's a safe move. Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Actually I have a few compounds that have a 40 lb. pull if you are interested. They are older bear compounds but work great for this sport.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
The bowfishing insert is definately the way to go. You can get one at sullys Bowfishing. And dont listen to these guys about using a good bow for bowfishing :lol: I use a couple $1000 black Widow recurves every week and they are fine. You tend to take better care of a good bow I think.....and keep them from getting messed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts