ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a few different things about the 10 HP restriction on Shabbona. I've heard that I can still run my 60 HP motor out there, but only at idle or slightly above because I dont have a smaller kicker motor. I've also heard that I can't even tilt the 60 HP down into the water while I'm there, so basically I'd have to use only my electric trolling motor to move around.

Does anyone know the true specifics of the rules out there on Shabbona?

·
Registered
275 Posts
....from what i understand you can only use something over 10hp to launch and to load. I'm in the same boat. not having a kicker is harsh out there cuz you gotta use the TM the whole time.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Lake access is available from a double-lane launching ramp. Boat motors are limited to a 10 horsepower maximum. However, an 18-acre upper fishing area is a no-wake zone where only the use of electric trolling motors or rowing is permitted. :)2

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you guys. I have a 115 on mine, but use my electric motor all day with no prob full charged batteries of course. You can use your big motor to load only. I have dumped my big motor in when my batteries were low, or when a nasty storm rolled in and i have never had a problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
http://dnr.state.il.us/legal/adopted/110.pdf

Section 110.40 Boats and Other Watercraft
It shall be unlawful:

a) For any person to operate any sailboat, rowboat, houseboat, pontoon boat, or boat propelled by machinery or other watercraft in any pond, lake, river, canal, or other body of water where posting clearly indicates that certain specific boating usage is prohibited. However, Department of Natural Resources employees operating watercraft in carrying out official duties and personnel of cooperating agents or agencies operating watercraft as authorized by the Department of Natural Resources are exempt from boating regulations in this Section 110.40 or in specific site rules as determined by Department of Natural Resources supervisory managers in order to provide management actions for enhancing or saving the resource base or the safety and welfare of the using public.

b) For any person to use a motor driven boat on any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department that has less than 60 surface acres. However, this does not exclude the use of motor driven boats to gain access to duck blinds during blind building activities and during the waterfowl hunting season or electric trolling motors on these bodies of water.

c) For any person to use a motor driven boat with a motor of a size larger than 10 H.P. on any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department that has 60 or more surface acres of water area.

d) For any person to allow his boat or other watercraft to remain on any of the public recreational and fishing areas under the jurisdiction of the Department beyond the date of December 1st of each year.

e) To remain on any Department lake after posted closing time.

Except:

1) departmentally supervised waters of over 500 acres;

2) on the following lakes that are between 60-500 acres, motors of any size are allowed (10 H.P. and under may operate at full speed while motors larger than 10 H.P. must operate at no-wake, idle speed):
Prairie Lake - Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Fish and Wildlife Area (Cass County)
Pierce Lake - Rock Cut State Park (Winnebago County)
Wolf Lake - William W. Powers State Conservation Area (Cook County)
Dawson Lake - Moraine View State Recreation Area (McLean County)
Mermet Lake - Mermet Lake State Fish and Wildlife Area (Massac County); and

3) portions of canals having specific regulations posted on boat motor size and boat use allowed and except that an outboard horsepower restriction shall not apply at posted boat launch ramps while loading or unloading a trailered watercraft; provided that the watercraft over the H.P. limit is operated at a no-wake speed within 150 feet of the loading ramp itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.