ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a King Salmon mount that is a little over 10 years old that I have taken pretty good care of. The last time I was cleaning it I noticed some of the scales starting to curl up in a few spots. The fins are still perfect, it's just some of the scales. Anyone know if this is something I can fix myself or if it has to go to a taxidermist?

/help

·
Registered
278 Posts
www.taxidermy.com

lots of work, especially the scales.

would suggest sending it out to a professional.

Talk to the fellaz at Henry's - 31st & Canal Chicago

They don't taxidermy, but they have lots of stuff done.
They can point you in the right direction, locally.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Do you have the mount near a heat source such as by a fireplace or kitchen area? Or, is it located somewhere where there's big temperature or humidity differences? (I'm just trying to decipher why the scales are lifting. It might be a case where the oils in the fish's skin are coming to the surface through time and/or the fish was not properly de-greased and/or sealed. Most likely the latter)

Anyway, how to fix? Do you have a heat gun? If so, first TEST THIS ON SOME SCALES THAT ARE LIFTING ON THE BACKSIDE to first see if this will work. Take an old butter knife and heat the metal end of the knife slightly then immediately press down on the affected area(s) with the hot butter knife - MOVING the knife around so as NOT to burn the gloss coat and/or the scales themselves. Again, practice this on the backside until you get the hang of it.

A second option would be to take a toothpick and a dab of Superglue and slide it under each scale and press and wipe any excess Superglue with a paper towel. If you have a fair amount of scales, this could be very time-consuming.

If you've tried both of these solutions on the BACKSIDE and still don't feel comfortable doing this, you may wish to take it in to a professional. It sounds like a simple fix and you might want to have him re-gloss it once completed (which you MIGHT have to do anyway from the aforementioned "fixes" if you get a little sloppy). Assuming it's pretty much in the condition you describe it shouldn't cost more than $30 or $40 bucks to fix the scales and re-gloss your trophy.

Btw, the two methods that I described to fix your scales would be the first two things I would do to fix your fish, they are proven methods. You just need to practice on the BACKSIDE (Have I mentioned that yet? LOL!)

PM me if you need any more information...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fish Art - Thanks for going to the trouble of such a detailed answer to my question. The mount is on an inside wall away from any heat ducts and temperature/humidity in my family room is pretty consistent. I'm not afraid to tackle "the backside" as you suggest, but I won't do anything that may jeopardize the mount. I originally said a little over 10 years. I checked and it's been 12yrs. Time sure fly's.

Can't get much detail with my old camera, but you can see the over condition is good.
Thanks again for the info. I'll PM if I can get her to let me take it to a pro.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Nice mount!

Hard to see any scales lifting with those pics. Spring or Summer run - those scales are paper thin too. Glad to have been some help. If you can get good close-ups, a taxidermist should be able to give you a fairly accurate estimate via email. I'm still betting less than $50 bucks. For that much - if you have somebody pretty close to you, you may be best off taking it in...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts