ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that football jigs have been around a bit but it seems to be the hottest boom since red hooks and chatterbaits. I'm not much of a jig fisherman since I've had success on what I'm used to and confidence in. Has anyone really caught on to them that never were jig users ? Seems also, every store I go to thats the bait they advertise the most. Are these jigs the second coming of Christ or just another hot trend ?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Alot of guys simply dont fish deep. The football head has its place on deep rocky points, humps and also in deep, or shallow rip rap. It's a small low profile bait, that is heavy enough to fish deep. Once you start catching big bass on them you'll know why they are popular. They are just like any good bass bait, another tool in your arsenal...

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I was not a huge believer until fishing them on Geneva last year on Opening Weekend. For targeting sluggish deep water bass in a stiff wind, it was the next best thing to live bait.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
I have ditched the plastics and throw jigs most of the time for largies and love them. I use lighter jigs from shore especially booya finesse jigs, its the only thing they were hittting on friday

·
Registered
275 Posts
....the booyah finesse jigs are money. those and the strike king 'itsy bitsy' jig or whatever they are called. you somewhat have to toss them on spinning gear but when its a slow bite they are great with a little chunk trailer for some weight.

·
Registered
117 Posts
actually, I've been out to braidwood fishing hot side from shore and took 6 or 7 bass on football jigs(not skirted) with a tube. And that lure kept the lil cats away as well. I plan to use them as a search bait this year, especially on points. coreyfish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts