ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys this post may seem shameless and a bit cheesy but I wanted to know if anyone has a slug gun they could lend me for this firearm season. My wife is pregnant with our second set of twins and times are really tight. The hunting budget is getting cut. I put in for the daily draw and did not expect to get picked. I could give you collateral and a guy or two on this board could vouch for me that I won’t run off with your gun. You might be helping a man get his first deer and my kids would join me on the hunt. Post, pm or email [email protected] Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My thoughts on it are that if you already own a shotgun you're set. Just go buy rifled slugs for it and hunt. Any smooth bore shotgun with rifled slugs should be accurate enough out to 50 yards. Locate the thickest cover you can find in that area and hunt it. If you're able to shoot more than 40 yards you are not in thick enough cover. The really big ones will be heading for it opening morning once the barrage starts. Just beat them to it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Wow!! second set of twins.... I am also shooting out of a smooth bore gun. I tried a couple of different slugs and found one that I can put three in about a coffee can size target at 60 yards. Mind you that this is off of a shooting bench, but with a set of sticks I hape I can do the same. Good luck with the soon to be additions to the family and the hunt.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DaleM said:
My thoughts on it are that if you already own a shotgun you're set. Just go buy rifled slugs for it and hunt. Any smooth bore shotgun with rifled slugs should be accurate enough out to 50 yards. Locate the thickest cover you can find in that area and hunt it. If you're able to shoot more than 40 yards you are not in thick enough cover. The really big ones will be heading for it opening morning once the barrage starts. Just beat them to it. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused. I can use rifled slugs in my gun, an upland over/under? What about my adjustable chokes, just use the most open one?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have heard different thoughts on this. 1. Use the full choke tube as it will "squeeze" the slug keeping the gasses behind it to give you better reach and accuracy down range. 2. Use the most open choke tube (not sure which it is either modified or improved) so the choke doesn't effect the slug as much leaving the barrel. Personally the guns I shoot slugs from are both smooth bore crack barrels with no choke adjustments. One is a modified and the other is an improved. Both shoot slugs equally well. Just be sure to buy slugs designed to be shot from smooth bore shotguns. I also put the question of which choke to use on another site I visit. We'll see what kind of answers come back from there.

·
Registered
402 Posts
With an over/under, you have the benefit of a fixed action too... these are generally the more accurate styles. I use a bolt action shotgun myself, and they and breakaways seem to be the most accurate hands down. (Think Tar-Hunt and H&R Slug hunter). I would personally use the most open choke, because I would think the slug might slam into a restricting tube and cause erratic paths.

·
Registered
402 Posts
With an over/under, you have the benefit of a fixed action too... these are generally the more accurate styles. I use a bolt action shotgun myself, and they and breakaways seem to be the most accurate hands down. (Think Tar-Hunt and H&R Slug hunter). I would personally use the most open choke, because I would think the slug might slam into a restricting tube and cause erratic paths.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Apparently the improved will be your best bet. Put that in and go shoot some practice shots to check out your accuracy.

·
Registered
405 Posts
hey rookie, i know how it is to miss hunting season. why don't you call me and we'll talk about the possibility of you useing my 11-87 slug gun. i will need it 1st season, but i may be able to help you 2nd season. check your pm.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Ken, I'm disappointed! Why didn't you call me first, you know I'm the guy to hook you up. 8:) How about a Mossberg 695 slug gun (fully rifled barrel and scope to boot)? I need to get my decoys I left at your place anyway so I need to take a ride out your way. If you still have my number, give me a call. If not, shoot me a PM and we'll set something up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is amazing how supportig the outdoorsmen on this forum are to each other. It is truely a dying quality and nice to see the support.

Seeing how supportive you all are: I ripped my achilles tendon last month and cannot walk until January. This forced me to shelf the gun, bow and boat for the season. Seeing how supportive you all are, would you mind carrying me out the deer stand, lifting me into the tree, tracking and field dressing my trophy, carrying me out of the forrest and dropping it off the deer at the butcher. My wife will not help me with the requiest.

Seriously, I have been living vicarously through all of you. Please continue to post the stories and pictures.

Kind Regards,

Todd

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well guys I've have been hooked up. you da man tubes :)2
I just want to thank everyone who offered help and advice. I'll be taking a different kid with me each day so it is really appreciated. Given the chance I too will help others to get involved in the sport.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
No problem Rookie! Glad I could help... I wonder though if you will still be thanking me after shooting that 695 a few times while sighting it in? That thing will kick the snot out of you, that's why I recommended the 2 3/4" shells. Well good luck, and be safe :)2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts