1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own one of those small two-man boats, like this one:

http://busterboats.com/boats/trophy.html

It will accommodate up to a 5hp outboard motor. I thought I would look for something in the 3-5hp range with a built-in gas tank, something easy enough to port around without having to carry a separate gas tank. The primary usage will be on the lower Fox river - trolling motor is not always strong enough to move it up-river through current so I figured a small outboard could get me upstream and then I would drift and navigate with the trolling motor coming back down.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Day late $ short bass pro had some 3.5 motors on sale for their spring sale that ended last weekend. Call them maybe will be on again?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nice boat! I used to have something similar when I fished a small bay in Texas. Believe it or not, the first propulsion I had was a manuer shovel, then paddels, then an electric, then a little 3 hp two stroke motor. The gas motor moved me well but smelled horrible and was LOUD! Before long I went back to the electric which actually moved me pretty good.

You may want to consider a little four stroke in the 2.5 to 4 HP range. They are a bit heavier than small two strokes but all these smaller motors are air cooled which means they will be loud. So if you have to deal with the noise, might as well get the quieter of the two technologies and the more tolerable fumes. Honda, Mercury, Nissan, Suzuki and Yamaha all have smaller motors. One that may be surprising is Briggs and Stratton. They have an impressive little outboard too. I know a guy that had one on a 12 foot V hull boat and really moved quick.

You said you'd be using this on the lower Fox. Is that lower Fox as in Algonquin to McHenry area or further south? Some areas of the Fox can be pretty insane for any boat under 16 feet. Your boat is a very stable platform but water can come over the sides and rear. Wake from large boats can knock you out of the that boat so be alert and use caution.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm talking about further south than that, down river from the Yorkville dam. Fished that area last fall and didn't see another boat. Very pretty area, but didn't have much luck fishing. In any case half the fun for me is exploring.

The 4-stroke sounds like the way to go, as long as it's not ridiculously heavy - most of the time I end up launching this thing by hand!

·
Registered
111 Posts
motor

Do not go with a four stroke on that type of boat, the torque and weight is too much for it. The horsepower rating is for 2 stroke only. I know this from experience, tried it on a similar boat and it started to kink and bend the transom. There are some small two stroke engines that are water cooled and are not that loud. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Correction

Sorry, I should have said don't go with a five horsepower 4 stroke on that boat, the smaller 2 or 3 horsepower should be OK on that boat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts