ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sorry about the last post :)15.

I just bought a big crappie lure color(green and black skirt), and was wondering if I could catch a good size smallie. I usually fish in clear water, in Geneva by the waterfall. I fish from the shore and know there are walleye there, but I need to know where the smallies are hiding. Where can I look for smallies on a nice day around 60 some degrees. I've read over the other posts and couldn't find anything on where and how to catch smallies from the shore, on a clear day, and using a 1/8 Blue Fox Big Crappie lure. I have givin you the most information as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just to tell anybody who didn't figure it out later i'm 11 years old.
Thanks to anybody who helps.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Nothing to be sorry about, Little Dude. You are welcome to ask as many questions as you like...that's what CLF is for.
I'm sure there will be quite a few posts from Fox regulars to help you out. Enjoy... and good luck!

G

·
Let me try this again...I wrote a really good post and then somehow deleted it instead of posting it! (_8(I) D'OH! Anyway... here's what I said (basically) If you want to catch Smallies put away the Crappie stuff and start using Bass *Stuff (a technical term used by Pro Anglers in reference to tackle & equipment) try throwing some tube baits, green, black, pumpkin, any color that resembles a crawdad is good, rig it on a jig (the type that go inside the tube) or texas rig them, if unfamiliar with these techniques the guys at your local *Stuff Store can show you how, now find an area that has a nice rocky bottom and start working your bait using a slow bottom bouncing retrieve, try to imagine what your bait is doing and try to get it to imitate a crawdad moving along the bottom or an injured minnow. The smallies will be spawning soon (if not already) so get a pair of polorized glasses & look for light spots on the bottom in shallow water. This should get you started, keep asking questions...the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! report how you do, and remember if it didn't work the first time you try it that don't mean it wont the next time! keep at it...you'll get em!

PS plastic Lizards work great too! SShhhh! it's a secret!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Little Dude,

A basic favorite. 1/16 oz jig (whatever color, orange, chartuese, etc) with a 3" twister tail (pearl seems to be doing ok now - maybe pumkinseed/chartuese).

Rock areas. Cast out a little downstream and slowly retrive back. It's pretty simple but you can catch a smallie or two.

If you know what an Eddie is work your jig in there. If you don't know what one is ask somebody on shore who looks like they know what they are doing (with your dad).

Keep asking questions. I always try to talk to other anglers at the river and compare notes and tips.

Razzo

·
Registered
280 Posts
<font color="#00FFFF">Hey Little Dude for 11 years old You sure do spell and punctuate pretty good:)You posted that you know that there is walleye at this spot have you by chance caught some there?Anyhow good luck Little Dude and anytime you are down by the Geneva dam and you see a tall chunky guy with a CLF hat on stop by and say hello,I fish the dam every now and again when I can get the time.P.S right near the east wall is a backwash area and right about this time of year from around 10 Am&4Pm you'll catch some nice Smallies,Whithout a doubt.When the water warms even more bring yourself some leeches with 32oz jigs and have some fun.Take care "Little DUDE" :)21Bill D></font>

G

·
Hello little dude, Bob Hicks is not entirely right on this one(soory Bob not trying to step on your toes). Last sunday 4 guys in the Rockford area went out for a day and we managed 25 smallies on strike king crappie spins,we started out with all different lures and ended up all fishing with the same bait.It's all the smallies would take that day,we had a few 15" and a few 16" smallies so you can catch decent size fish on that lure.
We all were using white collored but each guy added a different color 2" twister tail behind the skirt.Im sure youve heard or read that smallies love in line spinnerbaits or small spinnerbaits for that matter.The crappie spinner is the same as a regular spinner bait just smaller.What we like about them apposed to inlines is that you can toss them into cover without getting snagged to much( no treble hooks). So i say keep throwing the crappie spins,they will work and i have many of them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In the Fox, when the smallies are active, using an inline Mepps #1, white dressing, and copper blade works wonderful. The copper blade will out fish a silver or gold 2 to 1 on a bad day and 5 to 1 on a good day.
P.S. Sorry about the earlier sarcasm, your posts make you come accross as being older than 11.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skeithr on 2002-05-01 08:14 ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.