ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

I all around need quite a bite of help on catching smallmouth bass. I have fished the Fox River near Geneva quite a few times and haven't gotten a bite. I need to know where the smallies are, what they feed on, or what lure to fish on to try and catch my first fish in the Fox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lil Dude, why don't you describe what you are doing while fishing? What is the water like? Where are you casting your line? What kind of lure are you using? How are you holding your rod and how are you reeling in your lure? Start there and give as much description as you can. It might be easier to know what you are doing and try to correct it than to tell you what to do.

G

·
Little Dude I've thrown you some info once or twice but I think you need to read through the archives and past posts. That method will give you a lot of info quickly and anything you don't find you can get from some of us.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Little Dude,

Come to the <font color="#FFFF00">Yorkville Cleanup next Saturday </font>(May 4th) and after the cleanup I will share/demonstrate some basic techniques for smallies in rivers.

Disclaimer: I make no claims to be an expert. Just gonna share a couple basics that most River Rats use for smallies.

There is another post about the <font color="#FFFF00">Yorkville Cleanup</font> details and directions. Find it and all the info you need will be there.

Hope to see you there.

Razzo

·
Registered
211 Posts
Since you are in Geneva here is the easiest spot, go down stream from the railroad bridge on the east side, find the water treatment plant discharge(it's where they put the water from the plant back into the river), if staying on shore, walk 15.3 ft down stream, and using a 6'6" St Croix med action rod w/ a Shimano Stratic 2000 spooled with 6# green Maxima line and a 3/32oz. round Chartruse jig with a touch of orange and 2" pearl producto twister tail, cast 30 ft out at a 27 degree angle upstream, let the jig hit bottom and drag ever so slowly thru the eddy, and you should start getting hits on the 3rd cast, as far as setting the hook, that's another lesson.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skeithr on 2002-04-28 07:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dear skeithr,

That never worked for me.

p.s. Didn't you used to be taller. You seem to be getting shorter in stature every time you post.

G

·
Little dude,i think Norm Minas gave you the best info. READ,READ again and then read some more. The book that really helped me was in fisherman's smallmouth basics .I believe its titled smallmouth,they make the same books for different species. They are a soft cover book and run about 20$.The river section isnt real big though,but they do have some nice diagrams on how and where the smallie sits in current to feed.The book does have a lot of real indepth information,dont get to caught up in that scientific stuff just try and read the basics.
Last but not least,you seem to have felt guilty for only being 11, dont i help many younger kids on the Kishwaukee /rock b-boards,im speaking for everyone in that we think its great you are getting out and becoming a fisherman.Now a days we dont see the kids fishing as much as we did when we were younger.Probably because of video games.
You will learn over time to appreciate the outdoors more than other guy's your age and you too will soon be writing posts that complain about all the garbage everywhere.
Good luck and keep fishing man!!!!! Kevin D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.