ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
WOW GOOSE !!! Those pictures really hurt.
I think It's time to try the squeaky wheel
treatment on the DNR (like we did with the perch)to see if we can get some grease on the
smelt problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can you remember when that many used fall off every time you pulled a net? Or after a couple of weeks you couldn't give smelt away cause everyone was sick of cleaning and eating them!

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We would usually set up an assembly line to clean the fish between pulls. One guy would cut off the head and slit the belly with a fillet knife or scissors. The next would scrape out the guts with his thumb and rinse it off in a bucket of water. The last guy would bag 'em up, ready for cookin' or freezing at home. Still another would be frying up batches on the Coleman stove.

I'd still be washing scales off me, and smelling like fish weeks after the season ended!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nice pictures Pitts.
As I stated in the other smelt thread, I was young (8 or 9) when I was introduced to smelting. The way you guys talk about it is the way I remember it. I do remember shaking out that many smelt and "working" all night; pulling nets, cleaning fish, cooking fish. I really hope the current situation can be fixed, whatever the cause of the problem or the solution. Great memories though fellas, thanks for sharing.

Don't eat too much, but hoist a few.
Gus

·
Registered
199 Posts
I do remember the old days. Stay out all night
then in the morning would use the heads for Browns.
I live in Washington st now and we have GREAT
Smelt runs. Most people use them for bait and look at me funny when I eat them.
Take A Kid Fishing
Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.