Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few off the camera this week.

Crow and osprey sitting in a tree.

Saugeye biting 2 of 3.

Mantii x 4 just what I could see.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Hard to tell for certain without a closer inspection (or DNA testing!) But, both look like Saugers to me. At least I'm not seeing any features that would indicate walleye. The markings on the second fish are more faint, but it looks like pure sauger markings to me. Flip that spiny dorsal up and I'd know for sure! JMO...

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok try this saugeye are all that is stocked in this lake. Last I heard less than a dozen walleye were put in lake as part of musky rescue.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
blufloyd said:
Ok try this saugeye are all that is stocked in this lake. Last I heard less than a dozen walleye were put in lake as part of musky rescue.
Lake Evergreen? I've taken in a few Saugeye from Lake Evergreen that some showed no walleye traits either. I always enjoy the "name that fish" game and was just curious why you thought the second fish to be a saugeye. Both look like pure Sauger to me. But, if Saugeyes are all that was stocked, then Saugeyes they are! They're especially difficult sometimes to tell the difference between Saugeyes and pure Sauger with the younger fish. And these both look like cigars. Usually the true Saugeye's that I've seen have the walleye solid markings on the spiny dorsal rays and more pronounced cheek scales like a walleye. Too bad the spiny dorsals are closed. Then, the remaining markings more like Sauger's with the blotches below the lateral line. Telling the difference between a Sauger and Saugeye is one of the hardest freshwater species to identify because the traits can vary. Is the top photo a pure Sauger then and the bottom a Saugeye Hybrid? Or are they both Saugeye Hybrids from the same lake where that's all they're supposed to have (like Evergreen)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts