ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I scrolled down enough I probably could find this out. But, when does the Spring Trout Season open in Dupage? Or did I miss it already? I want to take my son out and see if I can get him into an adult fish for once. Instead of little bluegills. I'm thinking of going to Blackwell now that I have moved out west a little. I used to go to Wood Dale Grove when I lived out there. Where are the best parts of Blackwell to throw spinners and tight line powerbait? Also, how bad is the crowd when the gates open? Any info on this would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't know much about Blacwell, but the opener is the first Saturday of April which is the 5th.this year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
3 other options that I know of...

Milliken Lake .... Des Plaines Conservation Area, Silver Springs State Park ,Yorkville Illinois, Birds Park Quarry Kankakee Illinois

These 3 Locations have trout stocked all are usually very busy the first week that trout are stocked. Best baits would include... small spinners, small minnow baits, jig& twisters, water bobber & fly, Leaf Worms , Crappie minnows,power baits, small marshmellows

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went to deep quarry lake last year for trout on the first day and it was pretty packed. I got there late around 930am but tons of people were walkin out with their limit. I didn't get any myself they told me you gotta get there right when they open to get the hungry ones since there's so many people that catch them in the first few hours. but it was really cold and windy last year so that probably slowed it down too.

Forest Preserve to Stock Lakes with Trout
For Immediate Release
March 7, 2008

Contact: Don LaBrose, Office of Natural Resources: (630) 933-7668
Bonnie Olszewski, Office of Public Affairs: (630) 871-6402
Learn more about photo opportunities for this event >>

Trout season will open at the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County one hour after sunrise on Saturday, April 5. The District, in partnership with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, will stock three forest preserve lakes with rainbow trout to create better fishing opportunities and maintain a healthy population of this popular game fish. Silver Lake at Blackwell Forest Preserve in Warrenville will be stocked with about 2,600 fish, Deep Quarry Lake at West Branch Forest Preserve in Bartlett with about 2,200 fish and Grove Lake at Wood Dale Grove Forest Preserve in Wood Dale with about 350 fish. To allow the trout to acclimate to their new environments, the three lakes will be closed to all fishing from Saturday, March 15 through Friday, April 4.

Anglers ages 16 and older are required to have valid Illinois fishing licenses with inland trout stamps in their possession. While the Forest Preserve District encourages catch-and-release fishing, the creel limit is five trout per day. The stocked fish will be an average of 1.5 pounds in weight and 13 to 14 inches long.

Trout stocking is part of the District's fisheries management program. The presence of this species in a freshwater lake provides more than just sporting opportunities. According to Don LaBrose, the Forest Preserve District's fisheries biologist, “Trout are very sensitive to pollutants in the water. When they are doing well, it is a good indication that the water quality is good, too.”

To enhance the DuPage angling experience, the District produces the free guide “Fishing in DuPage County.” This publication offers information about fishing locations and regulations.

To obtain a copy, call the District's Visitor Services weekdays at (630) 933-7248.

With over 25,000 acres, 140 miles of trail and 60 preserves all right at your feet, there's a perfect way to enjoy DuPage County's forest preserves that's just waiting for you. For information, call (630) 933-7200, or visit www.dupageforest.com.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If combat fishing is what you want to introduce your son to .... have at it. Don't forget your inland trout stamp. They're watching! ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Last year was pure madness. By first light expect to be standing shoulder to shoulder, with people trying to sqeeze in all day. Don't know how old your son is, but I don't recommend going out on Sat. (opening day) with a little guy. By Sunday last yr, there wasn't a ton left... but it was much more managable. Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts