ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to carp fishing as of last june. when will those bad boys start getting real active again? (in other words when should I get back out there?)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Many in the Carp Anglers Group beleave the carps get active when the water temps get above 50 degrees F :)2

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've found 50 degrees to be the magic number too. you can get them under that, but 50 is where they start to heat up.
Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's started got 6 wednesday between 6&10lbs on corn. Started baiting the area last week while there was still some ice on the lake.

·
Registered
678 Posts
ahh the hair rig and corn......hands down the deadliest carp combo known to man!! I've fished every flavor boilie under the sun and have not found anything to out fish corn

·
Registered
16 Posts
I' m fishing very shallow fish right now, less than 2ft. I'm fishing 91/2 ft light action spinning rod 6 lbs line # 10 skankless baitholder with no weight. I have tried to use hair rigs but I have no idea what I doing wrong.
I tried a bolt rig yesterday on some deeper fish and almost lost my rod.

·
Registered
678 Posts
what kind of problems are you having w/ hair rigs??? I could help you out with that. I've seen too many rods launched into the water, use a baitrunner reel or just loosen the drag up. once they suck in that hair rig they are hooked. the hair rig is the best carp rig ever devised. it will increase hook up dramaticly. if you understand how carp feed and understand the idea of the hair rig you will see how effective they are.
Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Joe D

how do you keep the corn on? also where I'm fishing the carp will not pick up your bait if any of hook is showing. I would love to see someone use the hair rig. I landed 3 today and lost about 5 because they took off so quick. i would look the other way for a second and then my line would be gone

·
Registered
678 Posts
you keep the corn on with a boilie stop, just as you would with a boilie. you do need a baiting needle to do this. where are you located?? you can go with me if you want I'll show you the whole set up. you have to understand how carp feed to understand the idea behind the hair rig. the hook is completly exposed, but the carp first takes the hair and when it commits to it and sucks it all the way in its hooked. I know it sounds goofy but believe me, and all of Europe it is the best carp rig ever devised. it has been said a hair rig will increase your hook ups by 80% as well as bigger, smarter fish. man all this talk has me wanting to go carpin!!! for now google hair rigs or there are some videos on youtube as well. good carpin

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts