ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out Sunday morning. Alone in my prowler, as out of 5 invitees, I could get nobody out with me... :cry:

Anyhow, picked up six bass and 1 crappie. Found fish in the top 2 feet of the water column, still in the deeper water, but very close to shallow water. Wind was a problem, and was blwoing me and my little boat all over the place. All fish were caught on the same presentation: A suspending Rattle Trap (yep, you read that right, suspending) style bait maed by Cordell (suspending spot). I fished the lure just like a jerkbait with rod sweeps, and long pauses. The suspending action would hold the bait right there in the fishes face.

I tried other presentations (jerkbaits, super shallow cranks, and even jigs), as sometimes the bass would just slap at the bait; missed several strikes, and several bass came in hooked on the outside of their mouth, telling me that I was not dialed in all the way to what they really wanted. Varying the retreive, and the other presentations did nothing. The one presentation I wanted to try, I did not have the baits with me, and that would have been flukes and/or senkos. They are an easy bait to hold in that top 2 feet of water when fished weightless.

With my son as a cub scout, I should know to always be prepared! :oops: Won't make that mistake twice!

No pics today, sorry! Hopefully you will find the info helpful to your pursuits!

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Cool, I have one question though...
Um, where were ya fishin'?
Lake, river, pond?

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
hehe, for a subscriber report I thought he was holding out on us :p

Just bustin' your chops D 8:)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, it was just a little 10" puddle in my yard leftover from the snow melt. :p

EJSUSMC, you know me too well. Kinda scary actually! :eek: Get your boat fixed, as I have an itch that can only be scrathed on Lake P. Got my jigs already to go for that woodpile! Round two coming up! :)2

Oh, guess I still need to answer Ed's question! Pond in the northern half of Illinois, does that help? :p It may be, or may not be, the same source where we caught all the hogs last Thursday ;) (really, just me, but I do not want to make a certain someone feel bad... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts