ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did not make the opener but went out Sunday am. Started fishing about 8 am with my two kids, my brother and his boy in the jon boat.

We did not catch a thing for about 2 hours depsite throwing all the tricks I usually throw and the kids fishing various colors of power bait under slip floats. We saw only one fish caught in that time. We would have given up but my nephew Hunter (6) has never caught a fish ever and we really wanted to get him on one. After no luck at all with powerbait under a slip float, I switched my son Tommy's (4) bait to a waxworm and he started on fish right away!

I changed out my nephew's setup and after a few misses, he was hooked up on his first fish ever!!!

My nephew's first fish ever! I don't know who was more excited, him or his dad :-D

Within an hour, Tommy was limited out and sitting out. I thought it was going to be hard to get a 4 yr. old to understand why he had to stop fishing, but I thought it important that he learn what limits and the law mean. I was surprised that he had no problems with it at all and proceeded to be very patient despite some trash talk to his sister. :lol: Emily, who is usually the trout master, had yet to catch a fish. I even took Tommy's rod that he had been using and gave it to her, yet not a hit.

Meanwhile I decided to try some other options to try to land one for myself. I switched to a jig/twiset and before long I was on the board!

After 4 fish in about 10 minutes, my brother bought a jig and twister from me for $5 and he too was on the board in a couple of casts :lol: I then switched Emily over to the same combo and got to work with her on casting, retrieving and she too started catching fish. Before long we were limited out and on our way in. Unfortunately, one of the springs on the fish baskets came loose and we lost 3 fish out :evil: but still wound up with 22. Not bad after struggling early in the day.

All in all a great day on the water, and no better way to spend time with your kids!!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Great story Tubes :)2
Nice fish. I like to catch fish, doesn't matter what species. But I have learned to stay away from the trout openers. Not a big fan of fishing shoulder to shoulder and the ignorance of most people out there. Plus I don't like trout that much. Lucky for you, I bet being in a boat helped your odds. Anyway thanks for the story and it's great to see kids fishing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
:)2 :)2 :)2 awesome report! It is a tough call wether the kids have more of a blast catching fish, than parents have helping them! Great to hear that a 4 year old already has better fishing ethics than some we see !!!! WTG good fishin............

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words! I have to relay this tidbit though...
As my brother and I were casting for trout, I made the comment to him that I was glad they were hitting the moving baits because I just don't have the patience to watch a float. I even made the comment that "I'm the worst bobber fisherman in the world" at which point the 4 yr. old replies, "No! That's Emily!" :lol: :lol:
A trash talking 4 yr old? Yea, that's my kid ;)

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
That's neat Tom, like father like son! ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
PLEASE DELETE THIS, I AM A MORON......LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts