ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did not make the opener but went out Sunday am. Started fishing about 8 am with my two kids, my brother and his boy in the jon boat.

We did not catch a thing for about 2 hours depsite throwing all the tricks I usually throw and the kids fishing various colors of power bait under slip floats. We saw only one fish caught in that time. We would have given up but my nephew Hunter (6) has never caught a fish ever and we really wanted to get him on one. After no luck at all with powerbait under a slip float, I switched my son Tommy (4) to a dry fly tipped with a wax worm and dropped his bait down to 9' below the float. He started on fish right away!

I changed out my nephew's setup and after a few misses, he was hooked up on his first fish ever!!!

My nephew's first fish ever! I don't know who was more excited, him or his dad :-D

Within an hour, Tommy was limited out and sitting out. I thought it was going to be hard to get a 4 yr. old to understand why he had to stop fishing, but I thought it important that he learn what limits and the law mean. I was surprised that he had no problems with it at all and proceeded to be very patient despite some trash talk to his sister. :lol: Emily, who is usually the trout master, had yet to catch a fish. I even took Tommy's rod that he had been using and gave it to her, yet not a hit.

Meanwhile I decided to try some other options to try to land one for myself. Earlier I had tossed Cleos, Kasmaster's, waxie tipped sweedish pimples and my #1 rig, a double jig rig with a mini-mite and weighted nymph tipped with waxies, all with no luck, so now I was digging around... I tried a black Case Helgie tipped with a waxie, got one hit but I felt the bait was too big. I then switched to a 1/16th oz chartreuse jig and a white Berkely Power grub twister. Two casts later, I was on the board!

After 4 fish in about 10 minutes, my brother bought a jig and twister from me for $5 and he too was on the board in a couple of casts :lol: I then switched Emily over to the same combo and got to work with her on casting, retrieving, pausing the bait and she too started catching fish. Before long we were limited out and on our way in. Unfortunately, one of the springs on the fish baskets came loose and we lost 3 fish out :evil: but still wound up with 22. Not bad after struggling early in the day.

All in all a great day on the water, and no better way to spend time with your kids!!!

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Great report Tubes. If you put that much effort into putting the kids on some stocked trout, it is no wonder why you catch so many fish chartering the big pond.
I was going to take my nephew out there Saturday but he was grounded for grades. I was going to take a peek at it in the afternoon while I was trailering the boat out to Heidecke but the bridge on the North side of the park was out of service. Hope you did not come from that direction because that is a long detour to cross at 47 and have to come all the way back around.
Great job again :)2

·
Registered
412 Posts
Great post
I was wanting to take my daughter out for our 1st trout opener but her 1st softball practice was scheduled and she wouldn't budge...I just dont understand 8 year olds,fishing with dad or playing ball with the girls :-D

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Matt, luckily I usually come in from rt. 71, so I didn't even know about the bride detour :)2

As for kids and softball, I fully understand. That's why I think it is so important to get kids not only involved in the outdoors early, but to give them positive experiences so that they WANT to continue. It's not always easy, but it's worth it in the long run. My hope is that my kids never have a PSP or Xbox or whatever game thingy is the most popular.....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Great post Tubes! It's always great to see kids enjoying the outdoors, your doing them a great service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts