ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new outboard. I found a 2007 Suzuki 150 four stroke motor that is about $2,000 less than the competitors. Can you help me understand your experiences with Suzuki's. I have not heard anything really bad and there are very few on the used market place.

Also, can you help me understand what maintenance is involved in teh 4-strokes.

thanks for the help.

BANG

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
I owned a 16 horse suzuki about 20 years ago. I had it for 10-12 years. Had one major repair, forgot what it was, but it cost $400. The motor itself cost $800. So that's $100 a year. It was a great little motor. I hear the new ones are pretty good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I here they have a good warranty on their engines. Never heard anything bad about them.Was looking at them when I was looking for one but ended up with the Honda.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
All I know about four strokes, is they are heavier than 2 strokes. You have to change the oil at least once a year. and every 100 hours you need the valves adjusted.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Got a 90hp 4 stroke Johnson which is a Suzuki in disguise. The motor has been flawless since '03 and it gets used. 4 strokes are heavier but If I don't go E-tec next time, I will buy another Suzuki. :)

ffishman said:
All I know about four strokes, is they are heavier than 2 strokes. You have to change the oil at least once a year. and every 100 hours you need the valves adjusted.
My manual says to check valve adjustment every two hundred hours. I haven't had mine checked or should I say I check it every time it starts and runs. As long as the motor is quiet,(no ticking) I'm not messing with it.

Don't fix it unless it's broke. ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've got a Suzuki 70 Four Stroke and on a previous boat had a 30 Four Stroke. They have been great motors. My manual says to have the valves checked at after the first 20 hours and then every 200 hours.

Oil change "at least" once a year? Not according to my manual and what I've done. It's typical to change the oil each season which is what I do. I average about 50 to 60 hours a season on my motor.

The argument about four strokes being heavier than two strokes is not really the case in all HP classes so look closely at the specs rather than take someones opinion. Either way, any Suzuki tested in head to head, independent testing with other two and four stroke outboards has always ranked either first or second in overall performance.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
. Either way, any Suzuki tested in head to head, independent testing with other two and four stroke outboards has always ranked either first or second in overall performance.[/quote]

I with you JD, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless the tappets start to make a sound, I would not have them adjusted either. I got my info from a boating magazine.
This "independent testing" you refer to, where can I find that. I would like to read up on it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
. Either way, any Suzuki tested in head to head, independent testing with other two and four stroke outboards has always ranked either first or second in overall performance.[/quote]

I with you JD, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless the tappets start to make a sound, I would not have them adjusted either. I got my info from a boating magazine.
KP
This "independent testing" you refer to, where can I find that. I would like to read up on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2007 suzuki 150 and love it! It is an extremely quiet motor too.
Haven't had it long enough to see if any problems will arise, but I had it out 50 times last year and it ran real nice.
I've heard nothing but good about them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bass and Walleye Boats Magazine (www.bwbmag.com) is a good resource for outboard reviews and head to head comparisons. It's sister magazine, Trailer Boats, (www.trailerboats.com) also conducts reviews and tests. The below link is Trailer Boats review of the Suzuki 150. I did not find a test report on either website that has competition comparisons in the 150 class that includes the Suzuki 150 but there is one with other 150 four strokes and two strokes. BWB has a good comparison test review in the 90 HP class called "Roaring 90's", and in the 250 class that both include Suzuki's. Trailer Boats does as well plus a test in the 25 HP class. It's all interesting reading and research that demonstrates not only how four stroke technology has closed the gap with two strokes, but also how great ALL outboards are these days no matter what the technology. Outboards are getting cleaner, quieter, faster, and best of all more fuel efficient. Other than maybe the few remaining old technology carborated two strokes still available, it's hard to go wrong with any manufacturers outboard. Good luck!

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm? ... tionid=315

1 - 10 of 10 Posts