ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to try my luck at Tampier after work to see what was biting out there. Weapons of choice were one rod setup with a slip float and a couple crappie minners and the other had a 1/16th oz jig tipped with another minner.

Things started out kinda slow but picked up as the sun neared the horizon. Started out by working the bay with only a couple finned critters interested in the offerings. Wasn't until I came to the point separating the bay area from the rest of the lake that the fishies were located. Not too much on size, but some steady action.

Over a dozen yellow bass, half a dozen crappie and sunfish, one largemout, one kitty, and one walleye. Noticed the crappie weren't smacking the bait. Just a grab and a slow pull down. The yellow bass on the other hand were hammering anything that got near them. Missed more than I caught, but was a good evening to get out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is that the bay by the dam or the bay by the boat launch? I have had some success at both spots in the past with jig/minner or jig/twister tail combos. The thing I really like is that you can catch just about everything in that like with a presentation like this.

Thanks,
Louis

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the bay by the dam....figured there'd be some active fishies in that bay, but were on the outside of it. :)2

·
Registered
277 Posts
I fished at a pond near Libertyville yesterday and the crappies were bitting very softly by pulling the bobber down very slowly also. I could see the crappies swimming near shore but they would they were very finicky and were not biting that well. I would see them chase the bluegills off the bed but they were not in biting mode. I hope they get aggressive very soon :lol:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
wrobin said:
I fished at a pond near Libertyville yesterday and the crappies were bitting very softly by pulling the bobber down very slowly also. I could see the crappies swimming near shore but they would they were very finicky and were not biting that well. I would see them chase the bluegills off the bed but they were not in biting mode. I hope they get aggressive very soon :lol:
Those weren't bluegills bedding. Gills don't spawn till after the bass around june here in chicago area.

or maybe I am mistaking what you are saying

·
Registered
277 Posts
I meant that the crappies were chasing the bluegills from an area on the shoreline in about 3 feet of water. I assumed that the crappies were bedding since they were guarding a spot and the crappies would not leave that spot nor would they bite my mini mite...sorry for the confusion.
:-?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
wrobin said:
I meant that the crappies were chasing the bluegills from an area on the shoreline in about 3 feet of water. I assumed that the crappies were bedding since they were guarding a spot and the crappies would not leave that spot nor would they bite my mini mite...sorry for the confusion.
:-?
Yes, I thought crappie were early spawners... and I thought I had read that they do indeed bed to spawn unlike other early spawners that are just egg layers (like pike, muskie and walleye)

Thanks for clarifying

1 - 7 of 7 Posts