ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Crappies at Tampier?

I used to do a thing I call "walk-n-troll" mostly on the east point end towards the area south of the point to the area lake maps say depths to 15 feet. I woulkd use a Thill float with a tiny jig with a minnow, wax worm, or red worms. The walk-n-troll method is casting out, and walking four steps, stopping, walking four steps, and so on. ?It used to be an very effective method for giant walleyes here, though I think my last walleye from here was in the late 1980's! :skunk: The problem again, is not that Tampier doesn't have crappies, walleye, largemouths, or even channel cats. The problem are that there are so many gizzard shad and other bait fish. For the fish toi hit your cast is like some some of miracle. But, the shad grow fish very fat. I agree that crappies in this area can be caught in a very short "Window" of from a fewe weeks, to maybe 2 months. Saganashskee crappies are like this. Some get so big, they chase bass! Yet, to actually catch them with regularity is extremly challanging if not, impossible. I remember many times catching Saganashskee crappies from 9 to over 14 inches, thinking it was great. Then, all-of-a-sudden, bigger ones would break off, or be too heavy for the 4 pound test. They're in there. Catching them is the hard part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fished Tampier today. Caught one nice smally using 1/4 oz jig with the short tail and released it. Some unidentified crappie chased the same small jig but at the last moment decided not to bite it. Crankbait did not work for some reason. The lake was surrounded by people having fun and I was somewhat uncomfortable about that, too noisy and too many other fellow fishermen.

That was actually my first small mouth bass and I noticed how strong this fish is. Smallie I caught was well fed for sure, maybe little below keeper size.

·
Registered
407 Posts
smallies at Tampier?

Was the end of mouth under the eye? If not it wasn't a smallouth bass bass, from the sunfish family, of the black basses. Tampier is not supposed to have smallmouth black bass. It has been stocked with white bass, and largemouths. It can yeild some yellow bass. Note, I believe angler-stocking has taken hold. At Saganashskee I believe I have caught "white perch" which are in the sea bass family, which are related to striped bass, yellow bass, and white bass. The white perch, look the same as white bass, but have different markings (stripes, spine numbers, other identifiable charectoristics), and appera to be the same species. They resulted from bvallasts of ships in the Great Lakes waters of North America. I believe they are native near the Soviet Union, or somewhere in Asia or Europe. They are not un-common and are intrusive or invasive species in some or many waters of the USA. They are NOT native to north America. I think they are in all 5 Great Lakes, the Calumet River, and most certainly Saganashskee Slough. But, this makes me a player hater right? :)41

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: smallies at Tampier?

fishrelease said:
Was the end of mouth under the eye?
I have some cell phone camera photo, looks like mouth was under the eye. As soon as I figure out how to attach it...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Years ago, and I mean years.....back around 1970 or so, there were smallmouths in Tampier and some nice ones, along with largemouths and decent northern pike. This was when there was no white rip-rap rocks around the shorelines and they didn't kill off the seaweed the way they do now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts