ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I was wondering if any body had luck near the Riverside fishing store. What king of lures could I use to catch a variety of fish.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey 18 years old isn't that young is it? hehe. all of geneva is real good. try to avoid the weekends there if you can because it can get pretty crowded and anoying. theres a lot of good areas to try there. right now, a split shot set about 6" from a red number 4 hook and a minnow should work very well. dont stick in one area too much, you really need to walk the shoreline and look for productive water. look for any current breaks you can find along the shoreline, whether its a big eddy because of a fallen tree, or just a little tiny spot behind a small rock. even a small little current break is good enough to hold a fish. try to find these current breaks and just dabble your minnow through the area. bounce your bait along the bottom and just keep a tight line with your minnow. if theres a fish there, you should know pretty fast. if its a large eddy, try adding a bobber on your line and let your minnow swirl through the entire area. warmer weather is supose to be coming so the smallmouth bite is only going to get better. give that a try and post how you do. when the water gets a little lower, theres some great areas to wade in geneva too.

G

·
May I suggest a red hook with a crappie minnow two feet under a thill bobber fished under,around and in back of the Mill Race foot bridge.You never know what's under there from day to day.Its a great high water spot.Or go down to the end of Island Park to where the water flows out of the oxbow and try a 1/8 oz. jig with a white twister tail.Work it on the edge of the waterfall and the spot where the currents meet.Great white bass and Smallie spot.
Oh...and if you see those guys fishing with tin cans with line wrapped around them and buckets sitting next to them(they'll have a spanish accent....sorry,but it's true.)...do yourself a favor and call the conservation police.
Hope I helped
The Hook
Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
<font color="#00FFFF">That area is not bad under the dam on the east bank near Riverside sports,but if you can when the water gets lower and you can wade try the two races that are up near the east shore,you'll find to deep pools that have slack water and hold a variety of fish.Also the hook is right about the foot bridge.I put in some high voltage conduits under it a couple years ago and the southern most tier water gets pretty deep you'll definately find fish holding in there @ times.I work for the city of Geneva's Line/electric department and do work down there quite a bit.Now go get your rod reel and some bait and don't tell anyone about our secret spots :)21 :)21 :)21 :)21</font>

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can use a WIDE variety of lures to catch a wide variety of fish, and since you are standing 100 ft away, why don't you take the time to walk into Riverside sports and ask? They are a fishing store that caters to fisherpersons and they sell bait and tackle, do think they might sometimes hear what might be working from some of their customers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts