ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday with my girlfriend for a little fishing before dark. I noticed that my girls casts were coming up really short and making some great splashes. She insisted something was not right with the reel, so of course I had to test it out.

I unlocked the bail brought my arm back and let that sucker fly....unfortunately not only did the texas rigged worm fly off like a fighter jet...than the top part of my two piece backup pole flew right along with it like a wing man.

So there I am trying to retrieve half a pole before the weight on the other end sinks it into some weeds. I think that I was delayed by a few seconds trying to figure out what the hell just happened. But...I wasnt fast enough, so I now have a great new weenie roasting stick for camping...

It turns out my girlfriend didnt put the two piece pole together very tight and the force from my cast threw the top piece right off the bottom piece. At least it was just a Shakespeare Ugly Stick...so its cheap to replace.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
I have had that happen on th one uguly stick that I own a few times. Ijust have never had a line break and was able to retreive the pole. I have also heard others with Uguly Sticks have the same thing happen.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I have the same issue with both of my IM7's, one Cabelas brand and the other is a BPS brand. Luckily I've always gotten the top piece back. I know you can pick up a wax to coat the top of the lower piece to prevent this. I just haven't picked it up yet.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I bought a shimano 8'6" for salmon fishing last fall and first cast out with a spoon, the pole shattered at the joint. They guy at Gander Mountain said "How the in hell did that happen?!?!?!" then he gave me a new one that was worth twice as much as the original and said don't break this one.

It was definitely a "what just happened cast"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts