ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a puppy a week and a half ago
and found a tick on him yesterday
Are there ticks out already or maybe came with the dog?
It seems pretty early for this? :(

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
We get ticks in May in northern Minnesota and the weather then is no warmer than it is here now so I'm sure they're out.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
There's a creek near home that I've often fished in April for crappies, gills and bass. More than once, I've come home from there with ticks on me in April.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pulled a tick off my boys back last night. He must of picked it up while we were in Pike County planting food plots and burning switch grass and weeds. It looks to be a wood tick. No spotting or redness to where the bite occured. So YES they are out.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Not to alarm you but redness doesn't always happen with an infected deer tick.
If he starts to complain of aching or headaches continually, get him checked.
Incubation for Lyme disease is 7-14 days though.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
I got it last spring while canoeing up north, yep, it sucks, that's for sure.
My brain wasn't working well, it was like cross-wired or something.
Once on the antibiotics everything got better each day though.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
My brain wasn't working well, it was like cross-wired or something.[/quote]

That explains why I am like I am, I must have gotten a tick bite 50 years ago

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
All right, all right you guys.
I'm serious.
I play a solitare-type card game on my computer.
I could finish the thing in an average of 4-5 minutes.
Before I started on the antibiotics I couldn't even finish the game.
Then a day after I started them I could finish the game but it was taking around 9 minutes.
Every day I could finish it 30-60 seconds faster.
Roughly a week after starting the antibiotics I could finish the game in my usual time.
Or how about this one.
I really didn't want to drive anywhere but finally drove a mile to the river.
I hadn't attached my reel to my pole yet from my canoe trip though so, at home, I put it on.
I get to the river, grab my pole out the back of the truck, and head to the river.
After crossing the street I noticed my pole felt unbalanced.
I look at it and there's no reel on it!
It was in the bed of my truck so I guess I put the reel on but didn't actually tighten it.

I'm tellin' ya, it was wierd! :eek:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad to hear your alright :-D
Thanks for the tick info
Just didn't think they were out yet

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
usairforce22 said:
Ed, I thought Lyme's disease is lifelong, do you still have any symptoms or take meds?
No symptoms and since the 30-day antibiotic program I haven't taken anything.
The antibiotic they put you is fantastic in that the symptoms are completely gone in a week but you have to keep taking them to completely kill it.

Other than the mind not being clear your body feels like you have bad arthritis all over.
In addition to that a dull headache that won't go away.

The only thing that lasts a while is that you can't give blood for a year after your last dose of the meds.

Now, mine was caught fairly quick, I went to the emergency room and told them they had to admit me because something was wrong.
Of course they ran tests but nothing was showing up.
Then one day I asked the nurse to look at my arm (I couldn't see the back of it) because it itched and I knew I had been in an area with ticks.
Her eyes got big and a few minutes later an infectious diseases Doc was in my room, looked at it and said, "you have Lyme's Disease."
They started the antibiotic and I went home the next day.

If it isn't caught quick, or you don't have the tell-tale red ring around the bite to alert them, it can cause all kinds of problems.
Eventually it can just bring you completely down to the point where you will have life-long effects.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I pulled a dear tick off of me 2 days ago ....some reddness around it...HUMMMM, can you get sick if you get the head out? down here in southern indiana seems like we have them all year......I HATE THE S.O.BS.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Redness around the bite doesn't necessarily mean you are infected with Lyme.
I had a bite on my coloar bone when I returned from up north, and there was some redness but it went away.
The redness around that one looked like any other little infection on a cut or wound from something dirty.

If the redness is like this though, I'd definitely go to the Doc as soon as you can.
If not I'd still go if you start feeling not well, kinda like you have the flu or something.
The incubation period can be anywhere up to 30 days so...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts