ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know where I could get tiger Muskie or some game fish for my fish tank??? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know they sell Muskie but I just can't seem to find them

·
Registered
413 Posts
A few years back, Scott's Pet Shop in Westchester, was selling smallmouth bass and northern pike fry. The bass were a couple inches long and the pike about 6". Haven't been in there since.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It is actually illegal to sell any game fish native to the state. They only way scott's and others get away with it is becuase it is legal to get the "leftovers" from the stocking seasons from the fish farmers. I have seen game fish there as well and it is usu early spring as fish are being stocked this time of the year. (this info is from my own research as well as a scotts employee)

Your best best is to grab a net and head to the river! Don't know if you'll find tiger muskie however.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Wouldn't that be illegal to net small undersized gamefish for an aquarium?
I think so. Don't get caught doing that.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Can you tell me where I can see that in print? I looked through the DNR fishing regulations and saw nothing on keeping undersized gamefish for aquariums. Not doubting you or your info, but I have never heard of this rule change and need to see it for myself. I can't believe if you had an 8" walleye and a 10" Northern or dare I say a 12" Musky in a bucket and the DNR warden walked up you could tell him "they are for my aquarium at home" and all would be OK.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to see that one in writing as well too. In fact I think it's an urban legend because it would allow anybody keeping an undersized gamefish off the hook so to speak.

Also, unless this has also changed (doubt it) - with the proper commercial license a pet shop or whatever can indeed sell gamefish native to our state. Now, there's certain restrictions on certain types of fish and certain strains, but that list is long and changes constantly. The commercial sellers are the ones that have to worry about meeting those requirements. And they have a paper trails leading back to the source where they got them. Actually, you may have your terms bass-ackwards. It's the non-native species which they regulate the most. Those and particular strains of fish (especially Brown Trout) that have had health issues or other problems. They are very, very careful about letting any non-indiginous species in as they can potentially get onto our lakes and rivers...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought a tiger muskie at the Ocean design aquarium in the dunning square shopping mall, in Chicago, but that was over five years ago. If you're in the city, you might want to give them a call. Also bought a small mouth from there at the same time- the small mouth survived, and flourished in my tank, while the tiger muskie croaked after a day or two.
On a side note, that small mouth was an amazing pet, and showed it's intelligence frequently. It used to suspend in the tank and watch me, turning and facing me the entire time, and I used to feed it crickets by hand. I kept it for over a year, and released it into lake Michigan when it outgrew the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.