ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out with Hoffman for a couple hours this afternoon.
The wall I have caught some by in the past week still has water on top of it and
I haven't been doing well there since rivers levels came up and over the wall.
My thinking is that the concrete of the wall can't soak up the heat from the sun.
The water on top of it keeps it cool so there is an element missing to make it really good.

We tried there anyway though and picked up a little smallie.
Up river a ways we were going to fish a nice slack water spot but the resident goose
(she's been there the past several years) was already there and she does NOT like company :-?

We started working some shoreline that had an eddy and
as I was gazing downriver I saw a fish hit something and broke water as it did.
The location of it and past experence told me it was a feeding smallmouth.
Throughout the year but especially in spring this spot produces some nice ones.

With the water being high though it would take some doing to get to it.
So playing like little kids we scaled a wall(not the private kind) and jumped down another one.
Now we had to play troll and from the pictures you'll get the idea.

As we crept along the wall I had my minnow dangling just under the surface and a smallie came up and grabbed it.
This thing was BIG!
I got it close and was about to lip it when it twisted and snapped my line.
It was the biggest one we'd see, my guess is 18.5 to 19 inches.
I arrived at that by measuring the second one to hit and it's mouth, face and body were not nearly as big as the first.

We landed a few more before it was time to leave and get back out.

Anyway, these pictures tell the story of our 'commando fishing.'
And yes, I didn't set the date on the camera again :oops:

The second biggest one.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ed, I didnt know you fished with Ewan McGregor?! Seriously though, NICE SMALLIE ED! I am extremely jealous and cant wait to get my first brown bass of the season.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
:eek: I was at cabelas buying a new panfish pole,rigged some new line on my other poles,fishing with Ed.....I wish! :-D

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hunden said:
:eek: I was at cabelas buying a new panfish pole,rigged some new line on my other poles,fishing with Ed.....I wish! :-D
:oops:
Meant to type Hoffman

Sorry for the blown up post, not sure why the pictures didn't resize in the post :-?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Looks like a hard hat area. What's next, repelling to your spot? It's all worth it with a catch like that. :)2

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fishnmagician said:
Looks like a hard hat area. What's next, repelling to your spot? It's all worth it with a catch like that. :)2
If the wall we jumped own was a little higher we would have needed a rope :-?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Had a great time getting out with you Ed. I was introduced to the newest rage to hit the fishing world "commando fishing". That was a first, I was pleased the spiders weren't around yet. It's fun when the fish give away there position, just shows how important it is to pay attention to your surroundings.

Thanks for showing me around your neck of the "woods". It's great to be around friends that share the same addiction/passion about fishing.

Just think fishing is just starting to pick up. I'm sure we'll hit it again as the feeding frenzy starts. This is going to be a great season!

Your fish looks like it could eat mine.

Thanks for minnows I stopped on the way home but only picked up a few whites for my effort.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Hee Haw, nice smallies. How come every time I fish that spot all I get is spider weeds? ;)

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
sWEEEET!

Ed and I hit that same spot last year and produced some real nices ones then as well!

Adam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts