ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LED trailer light kit,
and amber colored turn-signals on the tow vehicle.

Is anyone aware of an issue with this combination?

Can't get the lights working.

Last line in the intructions reads:
"Some vehicles, -those with amber turn signals, may require a converter."

I've asked at auto parts stores, and nobody knows anything about this, and I've browsed every Hopkins Towing Solutions rack without find what seems to be the converter they talk about.

Seems weird though, why...?

Anyone?
...anyone?
...Beuller?
...anyone?

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
would have to see the bulb set up to say for sure, but here is one possibility, the amber part or turn signal, are powered differently than other vehicles and have an extra wire ... most all red tail light assemblies have brake, turn signal and running light features that can be controlled with 2 wires... a third wire is needed for the turn signal on the amber....not sure where to look for a converter though.... I'll try to find out as I'm housebound today.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lights

I had a 90 Nissan Pathfinder and I had to have a adaptor. I have a Ford Ranger now and I didn't need one. Both had amber turn-signals.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I "googled "amber light trailer converter" and came up with some links...some said that the converter is available at auto parts stores or various 'marts......could be fishing this afternoon!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm thinking that I may have just gotten a bad harness with my LED kit.

I'm currently storing a friends boat on my property.
Had him come over and plug his trailer (with standard bulbs) into his vehicle (with red turn signals), everything worked fine.
Plugged into my trailer, -nothing.

Went over the wiring again, -all configured correctly.
Circuit tested, -no power to the lights.

I would like to have the benefits of the LED, but at this point, I think I'll just wire up a standard bulb kit.

Thanks again for looking.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, one of the last things I tried was to put the ground wire directly to the battery negative, and one at a time, each of the other leads to the positive terminal and got nothing.
Thats when I thought "Bad harness..." :x
But, instead of changing the harness and leaving the LED lights, I'm just gonna reduce the aggravation factor and start new with a standard bulb kit.
At least then, if I still have a problem, I won't have any question in my mind about it being specific to an LED kit, but rather, that I'm just stupid.

:eek: (deer-in-the-headlights)

Just took off the old new kit, starting with the new new kit...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P.S.
There may be a post soon in the classifieds forum for an
"almost" used LED trailer light kit.

J/K

G

·
Raptor, what's your tow vehicle?? Check with a U-Haul place. They carry most vehicle adapter harness' and would be happy to answer your questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts