ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anglers? What's up with this? I've been to Saganashskee like 4 or 5 times in 2 weeks, have not seen one fish caught. The paper thursday said crappies were excellent at Saganashskee, Tampier, and Busse. Maybe they are talking about another state or county. Or, every time I went with minnows, wax worms, or jhigs, I just happened to go on poor days. I know there were crappies so big at some of these places that you needed a net to land them. I'm not finding them, but I know they are there. Mmm!? :skunk:

·
Registered
107 Posts
:eek: Seen some nice slabs from locale waterways. Going into it these ponds have very small windows to catch the slabs.......some times the water warms so fast it last a few weeks...other years it last three to four week ends. Just remember that they will be very shallow......very close to the bank....insanely close....small float ,and fly combo.....mini-mites shine right now....move it reeeeeel slow........water is cold and muddy so give them a chance to feel it and then strike it ....try your scents to help out ...but keep it slow and small...I know this is from this past ice season, but this is all I need to keep me trying the locale spot once in a while.....

Click picture for larger view

Crappie Professor <º))><

·
Registered
108 Posts
Professor - Nice crappies. Mini mites the choice bait? I will try it

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
Convinced papers review archives to run fishing reports.

Thus say in 1993 it was 60 deg weather and fish were biting every year since they run a generic report based on that.

Best advice get out of the house and off the pc.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I don't know about anywhere else but the crappie at Busse are on right now. This time of the year you can't beat an ice jig tipped with a minnow or waxie.Just be ready to fish in a crowd if interested just go to the middle dam and look for the masses. They will show you where the crappie are bitting. Right now your best bet will be to check the rip-rap on the south pool. Can't tell you why but thats where they seem to gather this time of the year. Then as it warms up the main dam and center dam seem to be the hot spots again no guessing needed just look for the masses they will show you where they are. BTW hell of a crappie CP. :)2

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got 5 crappies at Saganshskee!

Not a lot, but I got there at almost 7pm. I tried the east shore, the wall, the spillway. The crappies came from the south shore about 3 or 4 blocks west of the spillway. 2 little guys hit on a pinkish jighead and a yellow 1 inch tail. I thought maybe largemouths or pike might be active too. So I put on a 1/4 ounce grey, red, and black leadhead, with a 3" white Renegade (Wallmarts sells these) curl tail twister. Voila, 3 huge crappies maybe 5 feet out. Thought I had bass each hit from the 3. The bite was very short lived. About 7pm untill I almost couldn't see. Finished up at the wall, and almost snagged a huge beaver. I tried the inlet creek at 104th Ave and 107th Street, and had to hits before I tried the main lake. Observed carp jumping a lot, and lots of shad splashing near where the biggest 3 crappies hit. I didn't measure them, but, they would've made good sized largemouths if they were bass. So, huge ones might hit here for a few more weeks than dis-appear until fall, or another cold rainy period. Pink and yellow had more bites but blake grey, red, and a white tail got more bigger ones. Man, this slough is so shallow. Well, perhaps next time I'll spend more time. Oh, fish were all caought off points, and wood, brush, or trees in the water was sort of near where they all hit. Lots of surface activity, and wakes leaving thje shallows too as I approached? Maybe poppers, dry flies, for some whomper crappies?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3 crappies I just mentioned

make the ones in the pictures above look small. No kidding, easily 14 inchers, if not more. I don't make up fish stories, I catch them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look for Crowds to find fish? I don't agree

You see it through the ice, and at lakes. Anglers bunch together when someone in the group is catching fish. This is true with Lake Michigan perch. One guy does great, and soon he has shoulder to shoulder buddies. The forest preserve fishing is the same way. A few anglers will seeming draw a crowd by catching more than most. I absolutely dis-agree with the crappie thing. Crappies are like striped bass, or like sauger runs, or like even channel catfish. The feed a lot in one area and move and follow food or bait fish. The absolute worst method is to fish near others. Crappie roam and if you walk (or if in a boat lift anchor and drift a ways) along thier feeding direction, you might stay on them for hours. Crappies rarely stay in one location. I've done the best in my life fishing nowhere near anyone else. This is probably why too, when someone like me mentions great sizes or a pretty good day, we get heckled by the nay sayers saying, where's the proof in pictures? No pictures, you didn't catch 'em. I caught 5 today, and noone saw me catch anything.I prefer, as George Thouroughgood says in a song, to be alone, all by myself. I catch more that way anyhow. Try it!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That one picture?

The crappie is 4 times or 3 and a half times bigger than the angler's head for crying out loud! Camera tricks are funny.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Always look at the hands. Even a small hand is 3" across the knuckles of a fist. Those are nice Crappies Professor! :)2

·
Registered
107 Posts
:-D Not a liar here.....the fish in the photo's were close to the same size...one was 15 1/2 inches and one very close to 16 inches but not over 16...yes we tried to accurately measure them...before release.!!!! only three fish of that size were seen that day and the rest of the ice season, none close to them... don't need to brag ,just looking to share the story and the experience with others....just like some old timers did to me...."didn't invent the wheel but sure enjoy the ride " Great fish pic's are what help to motivate the masses to take up fishing and learn to be succesfull....by the way that crappie was the longest I've pulled through the ice over 20+ years of ice fishing the area....yes I'm proud of it....and hope to get a bigger one next year.. :)2
Crappie Professor <º))><

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sorry, those are outstanding crappies C.P.

It's just that some magazines and writers in the past have used many dis-proportionate photos using photography, to make stories really way bigger then they really are. Your photoes show some huge crappies. Did you ever see photoes of fish where the angler's hands were 2 or 3 times bigger than the person's head? We all have. That's like those "hogzilla" pictures all over the internet. Sure the thing was big but like 15 feet long? :)5

·
Registered
107 Posts
:-D Been very lucky over the years to land some nice fish ....some while a tape was near, some not... guess I should follow Ozzie and have a ruler on the shanty or boat to verify so theres no guessing ;) ........once in awhile I measure them before they're released back to the lake ,some are measured before release into lake crisco :)2 :)2 ......any way here's the fish stuck in a five inch augered hole(gotta be taller than 5" right??)

Few from Grenada Mississippi.....friend caught ..sweeeeeeeeet........

Ice fishing at Blu's honey hole .............. 8:)

couple from Kentucky lake Tenn........... :)2 :)2

<º))><

·
Registered
220 Posts
nice :)2 :)2 :)2 Them fish have me thinking I should head south for a guided crappie trip :-? Hopefully we get a few at shabby sunday,, got my mrs and daughter to both go, but they arent liking the idea of Lasalle,, atleast there I am sure weather wouldnt mess up fishing too bad that we would get the old :skunk: will post a report either way, and also hoping i havent missed any good bite behind house,,,just have to hit it right its shallow mostly but with 6' holes ive heard...just between work and weather i havent had nads to put waders on and try.........good fishin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts