ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Trolling for coho?

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Woodbutcher68 
#1 ·
Are you guys flatlining, useing planner boards or what? Never fished the big lake for salmon so I'm pretty ignorant to the techniques used. Thanks in advance MR. Fish

#2 ·
We are doing both. I haven't had any problem catching fish without the boards, but the next time I go out I will run two boards in the port of Indiana just to see if they get more play than straight flat lines. Some days it can matter, others it won't. The coho's don't seem to mind. :)13

#4 ·
I have been having my best luck trolling #5 shad raps and fat raps in Brown Crawdad color. I have alson caught a few on an orange 00 dodger and small green flie, but the water is still a little cold for that. Did have a couple of hits on a brown/silver crockadile spoon but no hookups.

#6 ·
went to 95th today. flatlines work about 50 to 100 feet behind the boat with jointed rapalas and jointed fasttrac's.bite slowed when the sun came up so we went into the river and caught some perch.make sure you have a whistle,flares, and a working fire extinguisher.they caught my buddy with a bad extinguisher and it cost him 75 bucks.oh well.good fishing.go early.the best bite is just before the sun comes up.good luck and let us know how you do.

#8 ·
I have been looking for flares. I want to get out on the pond as soon as I have time. I have checked the local sproting stores for them and could't find them. (bass pro, wal-mart, sports authority) Where so you get the flares?
I also hear that the big flares are for when your own boat is sinking, and the small flares are for when someone elses boat is sinking.
Is a marine radio a requirement?

#10 ·
most boat dealers carry them. just check the experation date on them. make sure uoy dont buy a set the expires in june you want to get at lest a year and a half out of them, maybe two if their fresh ones the dealers just got. Also ck my previou s post for burns ditch. Flatlined 3 lines,and limited out for 3 guys in 2 hous at the gary light. Planer boards not needed now.Guys have been using them at the mouth of the ditch and in the port cause its really been slow in there as compared to the gary light, at least that been my expierience so far this year.

#12 ·
The flairs have a experation date on them. I check the date every spring. If you're caught with out-dated flairs you will get a ticket just like you had none at all. Check the dates before purchasing, I've seen brand new flairs with only one year left. Bpat U S will also carry them.....MR. <'(((><

#13 ·
Federal boating requirements state that recreational boats over 16 feet in length must carry night signals when operating from sunset to sunrise. (highway or railroad flares don't count) The Indiana boating guide that I have does not address this. There is a "Boating Laws on Lake Michigan" booklet which lists some of the most violated laws on the Indiana portion of the lake, including the speed limit after dark.(I've heard no wake and I've heard 10mph maximum. I'll know for sure when I get my Lake Michigan book.) You can get a free copy from
Indiana DNR
District 10 Headquarters
100 W Water St.
Michigan City IN
219-879-5710

VHF radios are not a requirement, but if you have one, make sure you have an FCC license for it. According to a Coast Guard inspector that checked me once, the fine could go up to $10,000.00 for operating without a license. They are good for 10 years and are free from:

Federal Communications Commission
Gettysburg PA

or send in the application that comes with your radio. When the Coast Guard Auxiliary is at Alsip, they may have some some applications. They also know all the boating laws for IN and IL water.
Another unknown IN Lake Michigan law: "all boats under 12 meters (39'4 1/2")long, must have a means for making an efficient sound signal, like a marine whistle".
A couple bucks invested can save a lot including a life.
If in doubt, call the Coast Guard, 773-768-4093

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.