ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trolling motor lacks power. It is a Minn 55 power drive.
The prop has got quiet a few small dents and dings. Do you think that is whats slowing it down?
Is it time for a new prop?
It has a brand new fully charged battery

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sounds like theres fishing line wrapped around the shaft.

Pull off the prop and take a look.

Rich T

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm interested to see where this one goes. I have had the same troubles. When I first got my Motorguide, man you could waterski off that thing, now it doesn't seem to have near the power it once had. New battery didn't make a difference, prop shaft checked frequently for debris, etc. I've kinda given up and make due. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Well, if you are running off of 24 volts, the possibility exists that you are only running off of 12 and do not know it (Bad Wires). I had that happen last year and it took me a little bit to realize it was not the actual trolling motor with the issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine's a 12 volt setup. But excellent idea for others to check. Keep em coming. I'd really like to get it back to the way it was if possible.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've got a Minn Kota AP65 and had power problems this spring. As it turned out the brushes were not making full contact. I removed them sanded them down slightly and re-installed them and it now good to go. I would recomend a seal kit after opening up the housing, they're about $10. Also mark every part exactly where they go as my motor ran backwards because I put the magnet field housing in 180 degrees out. Was "SHOCKED"that it would even do that!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no line on the prop shaft.
I did hook up a new battery. Old one was a deep cycle group 27 interstate new one is a group 29 interstate.
I am sure it was wired to the deep cycle battery.
New prop is about $30 at cabelas. I will try replacing it this weekend I hope it helps

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I would agree with MR FISH and check the brushes in the bullet. They are most likely worn and need to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts