ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I just bought a 14' jon boat, and we will mainly use it on a 180 acre lake, so we won't demand a whole lot from this motor. So my questions are:

1. Are the $100 30lb thrust motors even worth it or should I go with a better motor?
2. What kind of batteries should I go with? About how much should I expect to pay?
3. And finally, probably a stupid question, are all of the trolling motor batteries rechargable?

Any and all help and advice would be much appreciated.

Marty

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just some food for thought.............

1.)$100 bucks? You get what you pay for and trolling motors take a beating. Might be worth looking for quality over bargain depending on how often it will be used.
2.)1 12volt deep cycle battery will be plenty. Should cost you about $50-$80 bucks. (Don't forget, you are going to need a charger!. About $50 bucks
3.)I believe they are all rechargeable. Follow the charging directions and they should last quite awhile.

I have a 12volt 40pound trolling motor on my 16' deep V so a 30lb on your boat should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Hey Marty,

Minn Kota is the brand I have always used. Good and reliable. They make a 55# thrust transom mounted trolling motor that is really great and which I use in the same size boat that I and a friend have on a small lake. On a fully charged battery you'll get 6-8 hours of movement with that motor, depending on wind and waves. A good battery costs about $109-$209 at bass pro. You can spend up to $400-500 for some of the super new gel batteries! A decent charger is $60. The minn Kota 55 lb thrust at bass pro is $199.99. A battery box and strap (the law says you need it) costs about $20. Get the 55 not the 30. You'll be happier in the long run. So for $400 youl'll be good to go for about 3 years. $133 a year, not bad! Good luck and congrats on the boat.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you are planning to use the trolling motor as you main propulsion, you may want to consider a small 3 or 5 hp outboard instead. 180 acres is a pretty big lake to try and navigate in a Jon boat powered by a trolling motor.

If a trolling motor is your only option, the maximum thrust you can get from a 12 volt motor would be recommended. You should power that with a type 31 sized battery to assure you have plenty of juice to get around that lake on a windy day.

If the trolling motor is to be used for only trolling the fishing area once you get there, 30 lbs of thrust and a type 24 battery will be plenty.

Purchase a charger more tailored to charging deep cycle batteries, not just a car changer. 10 amps charging capability is suggested, but don't get anything less than 5 amps.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a Minn Kota 55# Endura on my 2-man plastic pond hopper..I can go longer on my battery using a #55 motor at half speed than a 30# at full speed..The 30# has to work harder and gets hotter; killing my battery.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I like the Minn Kota Endura 55 lb thrust, 12 volt as well. Good product for the price and there are plenty of service centers in the area if you have a problem. I would also recommend carrying 2 charged batteries on the boat at all times. Its no fun running out of juice at the other end of the lake.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Minnkota Maxxum with the Maximizer feature has longer run time on a battery than the Endura. The Maxxum also has a tilting handle and variable speed rather than six forward speeds. The Endura has a cool extending handle though if needed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
30lb Thrust should be good for that boat.

You should have 5lbs of thrust per 200lbs.

So take your boats maximum capacity weight + the weight of the people in the boat and divide that by 200 then multiply it by 5.

Example

Boats Maximum Capacity is 1400lbs
Weight of you and your gear is 250lbs

1400 + 250 / 200 X 5 = 41.25

So in the above case a 40lb Thrust Trolling motor is what you'd want.

**But as you're using the trolling motor as the boats SOLE propulsion you may consider stepping up to the next Thrust Rating. And with the prices of the 12volt systems not being a whole lot different from 30lb - 55lb stepping up would be relatively inexpensive.

All deep cycle batteries are rechargeable.

They will run you anywhere from $80 to over $200. Again as the motor is your sole source of propulsion you really should skimp in this area.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Marty if you haven't bought the battery yet, Costo has a good one for $50 plus tax, at least they did last week. Check it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.