ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the harbor about 10:30. Lots of boats trolling the shoreline between Com Ed and Johnsons, looking for Coho. Stayed away from all of the inshore boats for a while, just to show them how smart I was. Didn't catch squat.
Jumped on the inshore carousel for a spin. Didn't catch squat. Fog bank came and went, in a 30 minute period. Pulled up our baits, and bolted South, to Great Lakes Navel. Many boats. Flatlined in 7 ft just South of the harbor with orange dodger squid, 1/2 oz rubber core weight hot-n-tot, orange dodger/green tinsel fly (one big,one small), and landed about half of the 8 Coho that hit. Another fog bank, this one was to stay for 3 hours. New owner of used boat had no GPS/Loran. Fishing sucks when you don't know where you are. Decided to troll North and South, along the breakwall (just to keep something in site. Marked fish--no hits. Gave up on the upper 3rd of the water colum, and decided to bounce the bottom with blue/chome. BINGO---Non-stop--. Had to get going, so we trolled (really felt out way just offshore) north to South rocks. Again, really sucks with no navagation. Fog burned off just as we arrived. Caught 1 more Coho, and went in. All in all, it was a tough day. We did stick it out though, and we did get our 2 man limit, with 2 quality fish. One 18.2lb Brown (which I released)and a 14.8lb King, which I will smoke. The 5 Coho were all your regular 1 to 2 lb eaters, and the 4 Browns we kept, were 3 to 6lbs. Except for the 4 early Coho in 7 ft, all the rest were caught in 12 to 18 fow. And ALL were caught on blue/chome spoons. Water temp from 41.3 to 43.7. If I were to fish tomorrow, I would start out with spoons, close to the bottom, and adjust from there !!!

<marquee behavior="alternate">Some days you fish,some days you angle.Today we angled the hard way</marquee>

·
Registered
137 Posts
Angler101

Heard you out there 1 hale then lost you. Hope my radio is OK. We too had a tough morning. We started in 20 fow with everything from Rapalas to spoons. Most hit came on Green and Silver spoons 15 down 15 back. My 10 year old son took a nice coho (6 lbs) on a blue rapala. Took another 2 Browns (2-3 lb) and 2 (1-2 lb) cohos. All on spoons. Nothing on Fly and Dodger. Went out
Sunday did the same thing and ended up with 1 brown and 5 small coho. Still waiting for the big run but again still had fun. If the weather holds I'm gonna try next weekend as well.

HunterJon
Ended up south of Great Lakes. Still had fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It took me a few minute to get on the agreed channel 69 (the priority button was stuck). But never heard from you again. I tried several times throughout the day, on both 69 & 16, but nothing. The one time we did talk, you came in load and clear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HunterJon, BTW I am a mechanic, and can fix you idle problem at no charge. We just have to be at Waukegan at the same time. Marcs drift sock idea is also good, and everyone should have them, regardless of the engine idle. But a boat should be able to idle lower if it is running properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2002-04-15 11:36, Angler101 wrote:
The one time we did talk, you came in load and clear.
I don't normally do this...But considering how you gave Greg such a hard time about typo's... :)20

LOAD Pronunciation Key (ld)
n.

A weight or mass that is supported: the load on an arch.
The overall force to which a structure is subjected in supporting a weight or mass or in resisting externally applied forces.

Something that is carried, as by a vehicle, person, or animal: a load of firewood.
The quantity that is or can be carried at one time.

The share of work allocated to or required of a person, machine, group, or organization.
The demand for services or performance made on a machine or system.
The amount of material that can be inserted into a device or machine at one time: The camera has a full load of film.
A single charge of ammunition for a firearm.

A mental weight or burden: Good news took a load off my mind.
A responsibility regarded as oppressive.
The external mechanical resistance against which a machine acts.
Electricity.
The power output of a generator or power plant.
A device or the resistance of a device to which power is delivered.
A front-end load.
Informal. A great number or amount. Often used in the plural: loads of parties during the holiday season.
Slang. A heavy or overweight person.
Genetic load.

LOUD Pronunciation Key (loud)
adj. loud·er, loud·est
Characterized by high volume and intensity. Used of sound.
Producing sound of high volume and intensity.
Clamorous and insistent: loud denials.

Having offensively bright colors: a loud necktie.
Having an offensively strong odor.
Offensive in manner.

Damn am I evil.... :)17 :)17 :)17

·
Registered
137 Posts
Angler101

Thanks, It idles around 600 when engaged in gear. I found another problem Sunday. When I pulled my boat I found some fishing line around the back side of my prop. Is that something I should be worried about? Any way I can check that myself? It wasn't a lot but I'm not sure if it cut the seal and don't want to take chances. Do you work for a marina? Maybe I can get you (not for free)to take a look at that as well. I'm not much of a mechanic and because I take my boat out on Lake Michigan I always let a professional work on it.

Thanks for the help,

HJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2002-04-15 12:03, Deer Slayer wrote:

I don't normally do this...But considering how you gave Greg such a hard time about typo's... :)20

DeerSlayer: I never have given anyone a hard time about typos or spelling, ever. I just aked Greg, (and someone else a while ago), if they could at least use capital letters when applicable (like the start of a sentence), and the period key (like at the end of a sentence). It would make their posts, much easier to read and comprehend. :)24

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HunterJon,
No, I don't work at a marina. I own and opperate my own brake repair business. ----------------You should be able to pull that prop off, and clear that line with minimal effort. As far as the high idle, it could be just a simple adjustment (air/fuel mixture, idle speed,)--or maybe a vacuum leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts