ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from Belleau and the trout opener.
Got there for the 5:00 AM open. Did OK with 4 fish in first hour then nothing for the next 3.5 hrs.
It was the usual cheek to cheek fishing.
A lot of guys caught fish but the only ones I saw with limit were those who started before 5:00AM. :x They were carrying bags of fish back to the car as I was pulling in.
Did not see a anyone checking.
Then again those who tried their luck earlier in the week probably did well too!

Oh well,
I think this is the last one I'll be going to.
I enjoy the fishing but those who are above the rules just sour the experience. Today I saw: 2 fishermen with 6 poles between them, multiple hook rig, public urination, garbage left behind, over limit,...etc...
But the final straw was probably the guy grunting in the woods as he took a dump. :(

Good luck if your going to try later today or tomorrow… and watch your step in the woods.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry to hear about the riff-raff and bucket people,but sounds like you did ok ! Was there any size to the fish you saw ? Were the fish bitting up on top, or low in the water column ? Thanks in advance for any info !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chicago Dan,

I am very sorry to hear about your experiences. However, did you say anything to the guys or report them to the warden?

What frustrates me the most. Is that a dad and his young son are out for one of their first fishing trips. Only to see the mess these people leave and not to mention if they are over fishing they are taking away a fish from a kid who could really enjoy the experience.

Rob

·
Registered
216 Posts
Waukegan wally

I caught my five fish at Sliver Lake in Blackwell, Dupage County. They didn't open til 6. Cars were lined up on the shoulder of Butterfield for 1/2 mile. We all thought they opened at 5 too.

I got in line at six, got my boat in at 6:45, had my limit in 30 minutes, boat out and home by 8 AM.

Used Crappie nibbles, pink, two feet under a **** Thill waggler slip bobber, split shot, no. 4 gold hook.

We had three DNR guys checking everything and everybody. They did good.

Going to LaSalle tomorrow or else I would do it again!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waukegan Wally,
They were biting on just about anything.
All the usual suspects were present and working: Corn, power bait, minnows, spikes, spinners and worms.
Can't say what worked better. I was using spikes and corn.

In regards to depth it was deep and out. I'm a top down guy and was using a slip bobber set at 8' ft. but I did see a lot taken from the bottom up guys a foot or two off the bottom. I personally don’t care what a guy uses its just I get annoyed when the bottom up guys cast out a 2lb. lead wt. and I can feel the splash. Just seems they always error on overkill.

tgoose55,
No I did not call.
I used to but after never seeing a response I have just given up.
I would call almost every time I went out to LM and never saw a response once in YEARS.
I know it is cynical and I should bother but then again if someone actually responded maybe there wouldn’t be so many violations to begin with.

One thing I thought of a couple of years ago was to "catch" them with a dgital photo and post it on the web. I have personally decided against it. I'm just not interested in the "altercations" that could happen with some of these folk if they see me doing it. Also I am there to fish not take photos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called in.

They responded 3 hours later.

As I said, I feel bad for the families who had to deal with these ignorant people. I arrived late at 6:45 and stayed for about 20 minutes. I changed spots and some ignorant polish (I'm part polish, so I can say it) speaking person had the nerve to say I casted over his line, then he casted over my line! It didn't stop at that, after he reeled it in, he said "Oh I have to cut it your line". I had to teach the idiot how to undo a snag.

To Mr. Polska fisherman with your bass pro rod pre-spooled with cajun red, I salute you for being a true arsehole.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Exactly why I haven't bought an inland stamp in several years. This is the last scenario I want my kids to associate with fishing. Courtesy, etiquette, comraderie seems to go out the stinkin window. I went up to Waukegan instead and got some browns up by the discharge. Several goos perch reports too in 65 fow.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have to add on the subject- I am also "boycotting" or refusing to participate in the inland trout season. These feelings are probably an extension of my disregard towards the infamous "bucketmen" and the wrath of scorned fishing gods that they bring with them.

"Help me DNR! HELP ME."

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have never bought an inland trout stamp, and from reading all the posts, I probably won't ever, unless I'm in need of entertainment some April morning.

I guess it could make for amusing YouTube video...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts