ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure about some of the other stocking locations, but Axehead and Belleau both exceed 30 feet in depth. Even during the dog days of summer would this depth provide the cooler temperatures needed for trout to survive the year? If so, has anyone ever caught a larger trout out of these lakes? I've caught them ice fishing, but they were the stocking size, probabbly left from the fall stock.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yup those trout can live. I've caught trout at west branch (deep quarry lake) in the middle of the summer and through the ice. before they stocked west branch in the fall.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm sure there are a few fish that survive well after being stocked, but I bet it's a small percentage of the total number of stocked trout. I know Silver Lk. and fish there often, never catch any trout in the summer.

G

·
I once saw a dead rainbow trout floating in the water at Belleau. It was in the summertime. The fish looked to be about 20 inches or maybe bigger. So yes, there are definitely a few survivors especially if the water is over 30ft. The one I saw I guess didn't survive, unfortunately. But I think that fish was in that lake for a few seasons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
:)14

The trout will survive in the lakes if they are not caught during the spring opener.
I have a record of one fish which survived for
three (3) years in Deep Quarry Lake before it was caught. It was stocked at 13 inches/1.75
pounds and when caught was 23 inches/5.00
pounds in size. Good Fishing!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts