ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be on this lake this weekend, thanks to a non fishing friend who has connections to a cabin. First thing I said was "Want to go fishing?"

Preasure is on, I've always shown my friend pictures of fish... but its never easy going to a place you've never been to before. I have no idea what part of the lake I'll be on

What kind of fish are out there?
What kind of fish would you try for from the banks?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I fish that lake a ton, as my wife's family has a place on the water. There are smallmouth, largemouth, rock bass, crappies, walleye, northerns, bluegills, sunfish, carp (some huge), gar, bullheads, perch, and white bass in there. If it's a sunny morning, you'll usually see a variety of species cruising along parallel to the shore. Bluegills and perch are everywhere. Mediocre-sized bass also. But there are big bass in the lake, if you can get to them. I've seen some pretty large pike caught.
If the place you're staying has a dock, just go out and start casting. Start with small spinners or jigs with plastic grubs and see what you get. The water's still pretty cold, so it won't be as fast and furious as you hope. But there are plenty of feeding fish around. I don't use bait, but if you want to go that route, you'll do great with worms--as long as you're into gills and perch.
I'm probably going up this weekend or next to put in our pier, so I'll see how good this advice is.
Good luck,
Olaf

edit: It is, by the way, in Wisconsin. Only a little bit of the southern tip--off limits for fishing anyway--is in Illinois.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Olaf for the Tips! Looks like there will be two people, doing the same kind of fishing... I'll report back (with words and/or photo) on monday hahah! Good Luck, thanks for the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts