ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often hear complaints about people getting speeding tickets. Many places have installed photo enforcement cameras to enforce speeding and stop light violators. I've never gotten a speeding ticket in my life. This is because I use my car's cruise control. It kicks in at about 26mph. It saves me gasoline. And, I'll never get a speeding ticket. As for those in a hurry on my bumper, I just keep it at the speed limit and they can pass me whenever they like. So, when I get up to the light that just turns green, I wave hello and say have a nice day as I then pass them up. It sure saves on brake wear and tear. Some drivers aren't used to cruise control, and have to slam on thier brakes in order not to rear-end the vehicle in front that's stopped. With a little practice, learning how to drive safely using cruise control is a great way to drive. By going the speed limit, I'll often catch up to drivers who passed me a long time ago. I'm not a hurry up and sit-type of driver. :lol:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
going the speed limit is safe?

Then why did he say a contradictory statement saying using cruise control in traffic is neither safe or fuel efficiant? I'm using cruise control even in lower speed limit areas. I often get miles down the road only to see the same gas hogs who flew past me 10 or 15 minutes before they passed me. I DO save on gas. I rarely need to use my brakes. And, it is safe, when everyone else is flying past, just to slam on thier brakes at the next red light. I'm not here to argue, but some people just gotta, I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
If you're paying attention, you can indeed get better gas mileage by NOT using your cruise control. The problem is after an hour or so most of us aren't paying attention enough to slowly fluctuate our gas pedal to maintain the speed limit and efficient gas mileage.

I don't even know WHERE (around here) it would be SAFE or FUEL EFFICIENT to use your CC. There's simply too much traffic.

To be blunt:

If anybody is using their CC in traffic, they're an idiot.

If anybody is using their CC on icy or wet/slippery pavement, they're an idiot.

If anybody is doing the speed limit or less (or more) in the left/passing lane and won't move over (using CC or not), they're also an idiot!!!

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
When you see the Blumobile the cruise control is on. Please feel free to pass but do not tailgate or sit in front of me after passing.

The joy some gate tailgating is not exceeded by the joy I get braking for phantom critters.

Not sure of your make of vehicles but my CC activates easily and kicks off when braking. If you have to reach in the backseat to deactivate I think a new vehicle manufacturer is in order.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Blu - I had a '73 Fiat decades ago where the CC was this button you pulled out to make the gas pedal go down and then you twisted the knob clockwise and it locked in! It had to be a MAJOR safety no-no!!! The gas pedal was locked in the accelerated position until I twisted the button clockwise!

Don't you love the gasoline arses that pull up on your rear end and then proceed to do the exact same speed you were just doing????

Most CC's work pretty flawlessly now. But around here you'd be fussing with it to engage continually due to the traffic. You might as well play with the radio and talk on the cell phone too at the same time to REALLY increase your odds of getting into an accident!!!

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Actually, in Illinois there is a "blocking" law. If you are in the left lane, regardless of your speed and traffic is backed up behind you, you can be ticketed. I don't think it is hardly ever enforced, but the it is the law. I think they did it to reduce road rage. The problem is some drivers think they are the road cops and want to "punish" speeders in the left lane by refusing to move over. Obviously the tailgaters behind are breaking the law, but drivers who sit in the left lane excerbate the situation by refusing to move. Best bet is to move over and let the speeders by and let the law deal with them. Beats getting in an accident or shot (happens!).

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Yeah Tubes I think that law was passed about a year or two ago and I don't think I've seen any differences because of it. I'd sure like to see the cops starting to enforce it...

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Re: going the speed limit is safe?

fishrelease said:
Then why did he say a contradictory statement saying using cruise control in traffic is neither safe or fuel efficiant? I'm using cruise control even in lower speed limit areas. I often get miles down the road only to see the same gas hogs who flew past me 10 or 15 minutes before they passed me. I DO save on gas. I rarely need to use my brakes. And, it is safe, when everyone else is flying past, just to slam on thier brakes at the next red light. I'm not here to argue, but some people just gotta, I guess.
try that in the city and see how far you get

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
Works great on 59, 47, Randall, Algonquin, Toll roads, even 30. I even know exactly what speed and when to set it in the Bloomington mess.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just read an article last week in Consumers Report that said "if idleing for more than 30 seconds, sitting at construction stops, railroad crossings and the like, it will save you gasoline if you turn off your car while waiting"... I did so on my recent trip and timed the amount of "run time" I saved... 2 construction stops and 1 train crossing.... and saved over 10 minutes of "run time"... that combined with my CC I saved just over 5 gallons of gas one way in a 100 mile trip... on the way back I saved 6 minutes on the way and about 3 gallons.. total savings for the round trip ( $4.00/gal) $32.... and I only use CC when I am out side of a town limits... to use it otherwise is, in my opinion, a very dangerous thing... children do things like not looking before they run out onto the street while chasing a ball.... :)2

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ive been sitting back and watching this thread, and while doing so, I conducted my own unscientific study with my 96 Sedan Deville...

My driving habits are predictable.. pretty much make the same trips everyday. For the first week I went without my cruise. Logged 153 miles. Around town got an average of 13.5 mpg. On my 2 xway trips got 24.3 mpg.

Week 2 used the cruise like I normally would, which is everywhere.. Logged 162 miles. Around town got 15.8 mpg, and on the xway got 27.2

So for me, its a no brainer.

As far as safety, I remember reading a study that said as long as the car that has a cruise that disengages when the brake is applied, it would seem to be safer for a couple of reasons.

First your brain is not preoccupied with maintaining your speed, which allows for a faster reaction time.

Your foot is actually closer to the brake pedal. ( I know mine is as I move it away from the gas pedal)

The study also showed that the drivers mpg increased, and the number of speeding violations decreased, and that there were fewer number of road rage incidents.

An additional benefit that I have found of using the cruise is now that I dont have to concentrate on my speed and it allows me to talk on my cell, drink my latte, watch the hotties, text on my crackberry, and make this post on CLF from my Iphone all at the same time.

Time to shave now..

Rich T

·
Premium Member
11,485 Posts
My guess is a high number of folk don't know it disengages when brake is applied.

I ay get an inverter so I can make waffles....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Because of fuel costs on my truck, I ran this semi-scientific test.
Truck is 2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew (Lariat).
Engine is 5.4l V8 with Tow package.
The vehicle is equipped with an instantaneous fuel flow guage and an avergae consumption meter. (you can see an average over a any set period of time).
Relatively level ground....good air filter....87 octane....65 degrees F

With cruise control on and at 69mph.....19.2mpg
With cruise off but manually trying to stay at 69.......18.3mpg

With cruise control on at 72 mph......18.6mpg
With cruise control off but manually trying to stay at 72mph.......17.3mpg

ON HILLY TERRAIN
With cruise control on and at 69mph.....17.5mpg
With cruise off but manually trying to stay at 69.......16.8mpg (granted they were not the exact same hilly stretch of road, but close)

Cruise works to save fuel but probably only on level ground.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
The key Aav8tor when manually trying to save gas is to NOT maintain that 69 mph all of the time. But instead allow the vehicle to coast a bit faster than 69 when going downhill and conversely when going uphill. A human can gain an obvious advantage over CC when going downhill but also a "not so obvious" advantage by easing into accelerations when going uphill. CC can hit an accel pretty hard when going uphill. It all comes down to how well one can continually mentally focus on driving to save gas. Which is very difficult to do more than a few minutes. That is the main reason CC is usually more effective...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll still use cruise control is most traffic

I drive to work or home in 30, 35, or 40 MPH speed zones. The traffic signals usually allow me to set the cruise control at or about 2mph below the zone limit. Usually, I don't need to apply my brakes,cars pass me and sit at the red light ahead, while when I get near the light it turns green. I am not constantly accelerating by pushing my foot down on the gas pedal. Overall, I think I am not wasting as much gas as when I drive the same areas without cruise control. I don't constantly floor it then slam on the brakes. I usually coast thru most green lights at a speed just under the speed limit. Cars fly by me, or slam on thier brakes to avoid rear-ending my car. But, I am not constantly giving more gar and slowing down. Cruise control reminds me of Ibdy 500 drivers; they might be going 175 to over 200 mph, bumper to bumper, but, they don't rear end each other, and they don't slow down a lot either. Cruise control, is much the same as the Indy 500. If you maintain the right speed, you never stop and never accelerate. I'm not here to argue, I'm here to swear by using cruise control is safer, uses less wasted gas, and saves my brakes. I do not use my cell phone during cruise control, so I'm not going to plow into stopped cars ahead either. There is no arguement here. Cruise control is safe, effective, gas-saving, and courteous and wise driving. End of my input on this topic. :toungue-out

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Well FishRelease IF there's no argument here, what's the point of this website??? LOL!

All you're talking about is timing stoplights - has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you use your CC. 2 miles UNDER the speed limit eh???? Hmmmmmm.... :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK I'm not done

If I drive at any given speed I'll either plow into cars ahead of me, cars will rear end me, or I'll keep going, not stopping, not flooring the gas pedal. I'm talking flat terraines here. This isn't Denver, San Fran Cisco, or even near the Illinois River, where it is hilly. I won't use cruise control if it is hilly. I'm talking flat straight roads, like much of Chicago's suburbs are like. And to save gas, I set my cruise speed at the lowest RPMs right after the shift into the next gear. How can it not save gas? The lower the RPMs the less amount of fuelo that is being burned. It is somewhere between 3/4 to 2 (on scale of 0 to 10) where my RPMs are most commonly at. If I am not using cruise control, giving gas after totally stopping, I constantly have my RPMs over 2 up to almost 7 or 8. It is common math...the lower the RPM reading, the less fuel the engine is burning. In fact, because I was good in math, geometry, algebra, etc...my baisis for using cruise control is based on the numbers, or is it scientific fact? :)5 If the numbers on average are in the 3/4 to 2 RPMs usage, then I can't be using any less gas than that, except if I put it in nuetral and turn off my ignition. The arguement that cruise control is dangerous, might be based on and very TRUE in heavy traffic times, where we constatly have to brake or speed up just to BE safe. Then, I wouldn't suggest cruise control at all. But, I don't drive in the city much, and that is another topic for argueing somewhere else. Okay. I'm going fishing now. Later!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts