ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there fish being caught in the chicagoland area with VHS or is it mainly up north and are people eating them?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've never caught one that had the visual symptoms and I fish out of Winthrop Harbor and Door County. Although all the reports say it doesn't transfer to humans, if I noticed any symptoms I probably would not eat it. A couple online sites compare it to Ebola virus or rabies for fish, but not transferable to humans. I love salmon, but will avoid eating VHS salmon if I know they have it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reality Fish, thanks for the info,where in door couny do you fish, Im looking to fish up there this year, thats where we keep our boat, in Sister bay. I need to find where the salmon are.

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
my boat is trailered so I fish both sides according to the favorable marine forecast. Bailey's Harbor is the preferred spot, but when that side is too rough I launch at Sister Bay and go north. I (& other boats I see) catch salmon from Elison Bay north and around through Death's Door on the north end of the peninsula. Since the water is very deep you are often fishing very close to the bluffs (shore). I've caught them in 50-150 feet of water. I haven't fished it, but late last fall there were lots of good reports from around Green Island (south of Chamber Island & in Michigan) of large Kings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts