ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of neoprine waders for cold temp wading. I'd like to get a pair of waders for period like now where the water temps are too cold to wet wade but yet not cold enough to force the neoprines.

1) Can anyone recommend waders?

2) How are the breathable styles?

3) Boot Foot vs Stocking Foot?

4) I know some of year will wear waders all summer long too. What are you using?

5) Where to purchase?

Thanks a bunch,
Razzo

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use Cabela's breathables and know others who like Hodgemans. In colder water I wear my jeans or heavy sweats underneath. In the summer I wear a light pair of sweats just to keep the skin feeling dry. I like the stockingfoot types because I like a good fitting boot over then. The only time I was ever hot in them was in August late day, but I just found deeper water and felt fine.

There were plenty of discussions about waders on the old boards, so if they are still around, a search will give you tons of information.

G

·
Razzo, I currently own Hogdeman neoprenes stocking foot.I agree with the other guy that a good tight boot is the way to go. I doubt if you will spend the extra money but with stocking foot you can buy different boots for different waters fished.Boots with felt soles work great on rivers like the Kankakee,where you are always stepping on and off of slippery rock. Regular boots without felt are good for siltier sandy areas were felt would get quickly damaged.
Now i dont own them but i know a few guys that do and they say Hodgeman Breathables are crap,they leak within a year of buying them.
Personally i dont own breathables because i wet wade when the waters nice,i only use waders when its to cold to go without.
The Fox water must be colder than the Kish right now because last thursday i was wet wading,not bad on the legs but the family jewels climbed up onto my shoulders from fear.
You cant beat a good pair of waders,it makes fishing so much more enjoyable. Keep in mind like everything else in the world you get what you pay for! Kevin

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had a pair of Simms lightweight waders for over a year now and love them.When I started asking why the price range was so broad on breatheables it was explaned to me like this,Do you want to stay dry?yes.Do you want to stay dry every time you go out?yes.Here ya go.They are kind of expensive,but you get what you pay for.For cold water I was told that fleece is the best under them but flanel lined jeans work too.Hopefully I can make the clean up and you can see them.They are made in Bosemen Montana, cant beat that for good old patriotism.Thanks,I enjoy reading your posts and I hope my info helps.TKING

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TKING, Kevin & Duster,

Thanks for the advise. If there is one thing I have learned (the hard way) is that you usually get what you pay for. I studied my Cabela's, BassPro & LLBean catalogs to figure out what I wanted. I took your suggestions on the stocking foot. I ordered a pair of breathables from LLBean and what I thought to be a good boot. I did not realize how expensive breathables can get. I went middle of the road. TKING, I didn't read your post in time to check out Simms before ordering. Thanks for the suggestion anyways. Hope to meet ya at the clean up.

My old neoprines have many leaks which made walleye fishing in Dec/Jan a little chilly. Glad to have a replacement.

Razzo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Keep an eye on your warrenty too. When my Cabela's got a leak at the seam about 2 months into wearing them, I sent them back for a new pair -- no charge, no questions asked. The next pair has been worn without incident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts