ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of neoprine waders for cold temp wading. I'd like to get a pair of waders for period like now where the water temps are too cold to wet wade but yet not cold enough to force the neoprines.

1) Can anyone recommend waders?

2) How are the breathable styles?

3) Boot Foot vs Stocking Foot?

4) I know some of year will wear waders all summer long too. What are you using?

5) Where to purchase?

Thanks a bunch,
Razzo

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have found cabelas makes real nice nylon chest waders with a boot foot and thick felt sole for traction, I think they cost me about $75. I wear them all year due to the fact they have a pocket at chest level that keeps my gear dry. The only problem is, I fish quite a bit for cats, and have been "stabbed" on numerous occasions by big Kankakee river cats when trying to land them, never got me but they do a number on the waders. Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Razzo,
I had the same delemma. I had these cheap-o rubber waders that were both to warm when the temps were rising and not very comfotable to boot. I decided to buy a pair of Bass Pro's White river line of waders, mostly because they were on sale during the spring sale. I wore them wading the rock creek about 3 weeks ago, and they handled the water temps very well. I just wore LJs and a pair of sweats under them. That is the best part about them, they are super comfortable and big enough to layer underneath (I even had my windbreaker tucked in) without being too large. I bought a cheap pair of Hodgeman felt-sole boots to wear with 'em. My only question is durability, but time will answer that one for me. All the low end waders are probably pretty similar, so I wouldn't worry to much about brand. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise guys. I opened my Cabela's, Basspro & LLbean catalogs and studied the different ones to see what I liked. I ended up ordering a middle of the road stocking foot model from LLBean. Ordered a pair boots too. Looking forward to stocking foot. The only waders I have know is my boot foot neoprines that leak in a bunch of places.

Creekyknees, hopefully they'll show up in the mail by the 30th (if not the leaky neoprines will have to do).

Thanks again,
Razzo

·
Registered
103 Posts
I picked up a pair of Cabela's Dry-Plus
Breathable stockingfoot, along with a
pair of felt sole boots.
Both are a great fit and comfortable.Time will tell on the durability of both.
Still am a little nervous about getting
in too deep. I guess it's about knowing
the river.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amused on 2002-04-23 18:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
755 Posts
Pete, for the most part on the K3
the active fish are from calf to waist deep
on a 6ft guy. A lot of times the waders
don't get that wet as wading where you should
be fishing is counterproductive. If you
can't find a riffle to cross at, try to find a branch to use as a temporary wading staff .
If going under still is a worry get an
inflatable life preserver that fits at the
top of your waders, I belive there are two
kinds the automatic and the ripcord type.
I'm looking into getting one for myself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a BC from scuba diving that would
work, butlook funny.
I'm 6'6", so I haven't really gone too deep
except going from one location to another.
Is the any good wading/fishing spots down by
the I55 bridge. I've often wondered
about that area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts