ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Bass Pro in Bolingbrook today for the sole purpose of buying wading boots. Now, granted, I had an idea of some other stuff I needed, but I was there for the wading boots primarily.

Well, 300 bucks later and...no wading boots. Dammit!!

I did try on the velcro Red Head boots for 40 bucks but I thought they were not very comfortable. I went downstairs to try on the Orvis clearwaters but nobody was around to help, which is a rant in itself.

Anyway, the question is, can anyone recommend a good wading boot?

Price is not really too much of an issue as long as the quality is there. I would prefer something lightweight and comfort is key. I wade the Kank almost exclusively, so I know felt is the way to go, but what about studded felt soles? Pros/cons?

Thanks in advance!!! :-D

·
Registered
623 Posts
You won't really need the metal stud boots. Those are designed for Rocky Mountain streams (Where you are often standing on slippery rocks).

I highly recommend getting boots that are separate from your waders. You are on the right track here!

I have a couple of pairs that I like. I have a pair of Chotas that I really like. They have a pull string to make lacing up/on off when wet really easy. These also have studs that I can remove (I also do the Rocky Mountain thing).

I highly recommend that you don't get the boots with built in studs unless it is an extra pair for just that purpose. I went on a float trip once where I was going to jump in and out but also fish from the boat. Most guides would not appreciate what those boots would do to their boats- This guy was no exception.

Sims makes a great boot. I have had a couple pairs of Hodgemans.

Waders/boots are are big deal to me. I wade 50% of my fishing time. My advice is to find the pair that is most comfortable, and take your waders with you. There is a combo thing that you need to have going. You have to consider the boot, the waders, and the size of your feet together.

If you plan to wear thick socks make sure to have them on too (like you would if you were buying hiking boots).

I would also suggest walking around in them a bit (with the combo above). The last thing you need is a blister.

I hope this helps. I realize that we have all purchased plenty of shoes, but this can be a little different. Sometimes the dudes in the store don't know what they don't know, and then you will end up with a bad combo. You get the right combo and you will be comfortable all day.

Good luck!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The kankakee is actually pretty much all slippery rocks. That's why I was wondering if studs were the way to go. I think Simms makes boots with removeable studs...I'll check into it. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
192 Posts
felt helps alot i think studs grinding on the rocks are to loud . i have cabelas master guide urtralight's they were cheep and work good not
great i am shure most will do the job ,teh only thing with felt soles is in mud they slip .

·
Registered
623 Posts
When I'll talking about slippery rocks, I really talking about boulders (bigger than bowling balls). I wade the K3 with felt bottoms. They will be fine. Go ahead and get the metal studs and put them in a zip-lock bag.

One other suggestion is to try the waders on wearing long-johns.

·
Registered
81 Posts
boots

if you want quality...one word...Simms. Felt bottoms are good. The only downside to felt is if you fish in the winter a lot. If you walk thru snow you'll grow an inch or two every 10 steps or so.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought a pair of Cabelas brand wading boots a couple years ago. They are the felt/studded sole model in the $60 range. I also use them exclusively on the K3 river. These things grab like no other. I fish alot of spots that are extremly slippery and these have never failed me. I suggest the studs but I've never fished with just felt soles so I can't say those wouldn't get the job done. They may make some extra noise when your walking but as long as your not tap dancing while fishing you shouldn't spook the fish. From a fellow K3 River wader....go with the studs!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Great info :)2 , I too am in the market for new boots and waders. I have the neoprene with the built in boot, they work fine but I slide around a lot on the rocks. I am thinking about getting a breathable pair and separate boots. Good timing on this post keep the opinions coming. I have a $150 gift card to burn at GDM.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've never fished the K3, but if the bottom composition is similar to the Fox felt soles should be good enough. I have nothing but good things to say about my cabelas dry plus breathables and wading boots. Can't beat em for the money.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before I saw the stud suggestion :evil: , I went with the Cabela's Guide Series plain felt sole. For only $60, they looked like the most bang for the buck and got phenomenal reviews. Thanks for all the info, guys.

By the way, I'll probably be somewhere near Warner Bridge on Monday, if the weather isn't too bad... :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts