ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be on vacation in Chicago, staying near the Navy Pier, May 12-16th. I always loved fishing for Carp. I started doing it in as a kid in the Bronx River, inside Bronx Zoo where we would catch fish up to about 15 pounds on light tackle and home made bait. Later in life I became an offshore charter captain, sailing out of Montauk, NY. When we had to cancel a trip due to weather, I would go into the town where there was a lake and a gazebo. I would fish that same homemade bait or kernals of corn threaded on a hook on light tackle (4 and 6 pound test) and would have a ball catching Carp that ranged from 6 to 15 pounds. Great fun!
Is there some place not too far from my hotel where I can do the same thing. It would be great to fish there alongside a local angler who is knowledgeable.
I am not an experienced forum user, so if anyone out there wants to answer this PLEASE send a reply to my email address: [email protected]
Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
I was just introduced to carp fishing this last fall. If your staying in a downtown hotel this May you'll be close to a variety of harbors along the lake front that should provide some good carp action. The chicago river also has a lot of spots where people fish. I would suggest Montrose harbor because of it's easy access and ease to get to the water. You MUST have a long handled landing net as the water is about 11 feet from the shore you'll be standing on. If your downtown a taxi ride is about 6 miles to montrose straight north on Lake Shore Drive. If you would like you can "pm" me. I am usually at the lake that time of year catching lake perch in the am. And maybe we could catch a couple "monsters" too after I limit out in perch.
Good Luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
If looking for numbers with a chance for a 20+ and is with in walking distance of your location, the Chicago River between Columbus and Lake Shore Drive bridge. Walk along the bank and look for a discharge You need a long net handle.
Looking for corn or bread crumbs for a ground bait. Dominick's Supermarket is on Columbus & Grand, also a short walk from your location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
getting together to catch carp

Captainzac said:
Hello. I tried to "pm" you but got back Unauthorized. Please email me so we can discuss the possibility of meeting to fish for carp. My name is Zac, email is [email protected] (I own a charter fishing service in south Florida). Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts