ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
How nice of Mr. Gake and his company to allow for fish passage around the Dayton Dam as long as his company is not responsible for paying for the fishways and is "reimbursed" for the diverted flow. How much is Mr. Gake's company paying us (the people of the State of Illinois) for the rights to use "our" water to operate their power plant in the first place.

As Vic pointed out, the ecologically responsible thing to do is to remove the dam, but that probably won't happen because someone's "personal interest" (the power company's) is involved. It's interesting to me how magnanimous the power company can be when they give up nothing, pay for nothing, and even ask for compensation for the diverted flow that the fishways would create while operating a for profit concern on a publically-owned waterway. With friends of the river like that......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been fishing it for nearly 30 years now and it's gotten better every year, this dispite those "God Awful" dams that everyone claims are killing the river!

I meant to quote

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marc on 2002-04-18 08:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
461 Posts
Bob Hicks,

I agree <font color="#FFFF00">100%</font> with your post.

I have been on the fence post for some time about dam removal; but, the histeria created by "that camp" makes me ill. I just don't buy their hype.

They are full of canal water!

I have just jumped off the fence on this issue - put a fish/canoe passage in if you must; but, leave the dams alone.

Razzo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Razzo that make two of us now, welcome to my club! Our Motto's are (yes...we have two) "There is a Fox River SOUTH of Batavia" and..."We ALL live downstream"
So then...anyone else care to jump on the "Keep a Dam" Bandwagon

·
Registered
280 Posts
<font color="#00FFFF">Hmmmmm :)18 I need to think on it a little Bob&Razzo.I know I wouldn't like an increased shoreline a shallower stream that is controlled by the friends of the chain O lakes,and globs of sludge floating down past my fivorite fishing holes.I'll let ya know :)21Bill D></font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dat makes three "of us" now Bob. I've been in the club since 1987, the year I caught a 4 1/2 pound Smallmouth out of one of those "dead pools" above a dam. I was suprised to finally see the truth about the pools above the dams, "He said that in pond pool areas at the dam, conditions are not good for fish in the summer due to lower oxygen levels and a buildup of algae." They still don't mention that it only happens if conditions are right (low water-no flow). Years with a lot of rain this is not a problem, right? Like you said, "The Fox river is NOT a trout stream". If you want to start removing dams at the Gulf of Mexico and work your way north, I might get on the band wagon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm for strategic management of the dams. The Fox River up to the time of European settlement was very much like the DuPage is today. (and the DuPage was pretty much a mud hole in the summer) Read the survey notes from the early 1800's and you will be in for a rude awakening as to what the "rivers" in northern Illinois were.
The modern Fox can certainly use a lot of silt removal.
It wouldn't hurt our waterways any if people weren't so hung up on this Scott's 4 steps to a greener lawn either.
The next time you flush your toilet think of this; the effluent ends up in the Fox/Illinois/Mississippi and eventually carries a piece of Illinois downstrean to become Louisiana and poison the Gulf of Mexico.
I have undressed but hey! Regardless who or how we need to come together to save the total resource if our children are to use the Fox.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have fished the river for over thirty years and have seen the fishing improve. I also have seen the water quality in the river deteriorate since the early 1990's. The deterioration of the quality of the river's water is not a good sign for continued good fishing. There are many things that can be done to help improve water quality. Reducing the amounts of fertilizer we put on our lawns is one way to help in a big way. Another way is to help the river to heal itself by allowing it to flow free. A free-flowing river is quite resilient and is able to clean itself to a certain extent. The dams hinder the rivers ability to do that.

We are all on the same side in wanting to see good fishing continue on the Fox. As more and more people move into the area, more and more effluent from municipal sewage plants and runoff from more fertilized lawns, etc. will flow into the river. The river needs all the help it can get from us to minimize the effects of this increased pollution. One way to help is to remove dams where feasible. Let's not wait until the fishing deteriorates to realize that the river could use a little help from us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts