ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Theirs quite a few lakes out at Mazonia and I'm sure you could find one with no one on it and catch quite a few decent eating size gills.

I've heard they taste best when Ice fishing; however I know they're still tasty in the open water in early spring.

-Kyle

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
There are a ton of strip pits around the Peoria area loaded with huge gills, and lots of bass. Then there is always the Banner Marsh lakes... Powerton Lake is outside of Pekin, but its a power plant lake, so if its open, the fishing should be prime right now.

Dont fish much around the area, so Im afraid I cant offer any any better advice. Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strip pits always produce the biggest fish for me.
I would bet on the lakes around you that ice out early and try to find a dark bottom flat next to some deep structure and work your way deeper untill you find the pre spawn females. The little males go in first to make the beds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

well i ended up going to a little pond were i always cautch me some got out there with some minnies caught 1 small bass and 3 crappies had some fun but no enough to eat ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts