ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Augie said in the thread about subscriber's and members...
I can see we need some more fishing options, or some spring weather already.

It's helping a good cause, sharing info. We need to make the "subscriber forum" maybe more special some how? CLF outings, drawings for merchandise, better reports or maybe a CLF members only fishing contest,( something similar to muskies inc. and everyone must have cameras and measure etc.) Just an idea.
We're always open to suggestions so...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm new around here so I'm not sure if its been done, but when I had a quad I belonged to a motorcross type forum from IL. The creator/leader of the forum community decided to make it into more of a formal club and then he would organize trips with limited spots, signups first come/serve via the forums.

I know that having a bunch of people head out fishing may not be the best of ways to do something like that as things get crowded fast. But it did really get some interest going from the community members, the only reason I'm not still on that forum and active is I had to get rid of my quad for financial reasons.

It may possibly net you more subscribers also to have a forum where subscribers could volunteer to lead a trip with x amount of spots, subscribers only can sign up type of deal.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do occasionaly have places that we try to get folks together to fish.
We'll also get together at a restaurant for dinner sometimes during the winter.
Each fall we have a salmon derby in Waukegan also.

Maybe we have to work towards a big subscriber's dinner in the late fall.
I've always thought that would be fun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Seems like a delicate balance. Obviously, the 10 sponsors on the left want to see as much traffic as possible. I think we all agree that the fee for a year is minimal, we just need to convince the lurkers to sign up. I agree with doing more inside this forum, but we need to reference this forum in other places. Maybe I want to sell my "Widget" so I put a posting in the trading post referring subscribers to this forum for a first crack at my item. It may not be the best example, but you get the idea, a lurker may get interested and then hit a "subscriber wall".

I don't even know how it's set up right now, but I don't think the lurkers should be able to PM at all. (That would prevent them from PM'ing me about my Widget for sale) Or any other amenities that the site provides.

Lastly, is the technology there to limit how many threads a computer can view per day, and post on per day. Let's say they can only click on 10 threads per day and can only post on one. Sure, they could double up from a work computer, but you get the idea.

Please don't trash me too hard, I have not thought all of this through yet and they may be horrible ideas, but I toss them up for discussion. Maybe it will lead to something we CAN use...

JT

·
Registered
911 Posts
You know, Tubes mentioned in another thread that he has cards that he hands out that have the sites address on them. I'd love to get some of those because like everyone else I run my mouth to other anglers when I bump into them and I'd love to have something memorable to pass along to send them this way. They way I think of it there's a certain percentage of people that visit the site that become subscribers and a certain percentage that wouldn't sign up if we were giving away beer. The only way to ensure more subscribers is to ensure more site traffic.

Word of mouth is a great way to do that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
How about if you sign up you get something, like some items with the CLF logo on it or something to download maybe some kind of fishing software to keep track of fish caught, size , picture. How about free ringer downloads like when your phone rings it says FISH ON. These are just thoughts, I dont know the legal end of it. But if you raise the subscription to $20.00 you can have some money to play with to get stuff for the members.

Another thought - Maybe you can work out a deal with your sponsers and give subscribers a small discount of their services. We get a better deal and they may even get more business.

·
Registered
911 Posts
luv2fish2 said:
How about if you sign up you get something, like some items with the CFL logo on it
Sure, but I hate the Canadian Football League. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Clurican, pm me your address and I'll send you some cards. I pass them out on the charterboat all the time or when ever I'm shore fishing. I'll bet there are probably a dozen guys who post here regularly that found the site after I gave them a card and who know how many visit and lurk...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I do agree with Joel's thoughts

I've been thinking about a yearly fishing contest....Do points per inch and have maybe an angler of the year, youth angler, catch of the year per species. Then maybe awards at the new fall CLF dinner/awards.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I may have a unique perspective as a subscriber with very little good fishing knowledge. I've said it before but just so everyone's in the know, my story is I've been fishing since I was a kid and never learned the right way. This site along with some books have already gotten me off on the right foot. Something that would really appeal to me would be fishing clinics. Maybe a few times a year announce a fishing clinic/BBQ someplace. Maybe $15 for subscribers and $30 for members and guests. This would build fishing knowledge and share experience first hand. Allow everybody to B.S. in person and Probley boost subscriptions as well. Stuff like this could get advertised with simple flyers at the bass pros and the like out there maybe even get organizations like the boy scouts to come out. Who knows.

·
Registered
911 Posts
What about a banner for the site that others can add to their own websites or Myspace pages or what have you to increase site traffic?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts